From the 10-06-13 bulletin
Post date: Oct 20, 2013 2:26:26 AM
This week at St. John
- Sunday, October 6 – Third Sunday of Luke
- 9:00 a.m. Orthros, 10:00 a.m. Divine Liturgy, with fellowship to follow
- Sunday school: 9:00 a.m. for Middle and High School, after Communion for K-4
- Christmas play casting
- Monday, October 7
- 11:30 a.m. Seniors’ Event: Lunch at the “Class Act” Restaurant in Hotel Kirkwood, then tour of Culinary Arts College
- Tuesday, October 8
- 1:00 p.m. Bible study (Revelation)
- 6:30 p.m. Philoptochos meeting
- Wednesday, October 9
- 5:00 p.m. Greek school
- 7:00 p.m. Bible study (Revelation)
- Friday, October 11
- Newsletter Submissions are due!
- 6:00 p.m. Great Vespers for St. Symeon the New Theologian
- Saturday, October 12
- 9:00 a.m. Orthros and Divine Liturgy for St. Symeon the New Theologian
- 3:30 p.m. Bring pastries for Greek Dinner (except galaktoboureko)
- 4:30 p.m. Byzantine chant
- 5:30 p.m. Great Vespers
- Sunday, October 13 – Sunday of the Seventh Ecumenical Council
- 8:15 a.m. Orthros, 9:15 a.m. Divine Liturgy
- 10:00 a.m. Bring galaktoboureko for Greek Dinner
- NO Sunday School or Christmas play rehearsal
- 11:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. Greek Fall Dinner!
Announcements for the weekly bulletin are due to Fr. Peter by Friday morning.
The prosfora this week was provided by Mary Moscrip.
Please support our Sunday School by allowing teachers and then students to receive Communion first, giving them the maximum time available for class.
On Monday, October 7, the seniors will meet at 11:30 a.m. for lunch at the “Class Act” restaurant located in Hotel Kirkwood. After lunch, we will tour the Culinary Arts College. If you have questions, please contact Edie Yerington.
Donations are accepted to help with the cost of the ingredients for Fall Dinner desserts. Please give donations to Chris Paxton, indicating that it is for Fall Dinner pastries.
St. George fall bake sale: Saturday, October 19, 7:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.
Thursday, Oct. 24 – METROPOLITAN IAKOVOS NAME DAY DINNER – This Clergy Syndesmos Fundraiser supports St. Iakovos Retreat Center. Our parish has budgeted a full table of 10 ($1000) and we look forward to filling it. If you would like to represent our parish at the dinner, please let Fr. Peter know by NO LATER than Sunday, Oct. 20. Your help in covering the cost of this dinner through a good-will donation is greatly appreciated.
The Fall Dinner is just one week away, and preparations are in full swing. This is a very important fundraiser for our parish, and as always the success of the fundraiser rests largely on our shoulders. Everyone’s help is needed to make this a success. Please utilize the sign-up sheet in the hall to let us know when you can help at the event. We encourage everyone to sell as many tickets as possible. If you have not received any tickets or you need more please contact Michael Christodoulou.
If you have signed up to make a pastry for the dinner, please make sure you grab your pans or phyllo dough this Sunday. Please bring all pastries to church on Saturday, October 12, at 3:30 p.m. since there is Byzantine chant at 4:30 p.m. Galaktoboureko should be brought by 10:00 a.m. Sunday morning. We still need volunteers to make galaktoboureko and karidopita. Please see the sign-up sheet or Regina (319-804-9665). As of October 2, Sam’s Club does not have English walnuts, and they will not be in for another two weeks.