From the 09-14-14 bulletin
Post date: Sep 20, 2014 10:39:27 PM
This week at St. John
- Sunday, September 14 – The Exaltation of the Holy Cross
- 9:00 a.m. Orthros and Divine Liturgy with fellowship to follow. Fellowship will be hosted by the families of the children who have attended camp this summer and the children will give brief presentations on their camp experience
- Monday, September 15
- 6:00 p.m. Religious education
- Tuesday, September 16
- 9:30 a.m. Religious education
- 5:30 p.m. Great Vespers
- 6:30 p.m. Parish council meeting
- Wednesday, September 17 – St. Sophia and her daughters: Faith, Hope, and Love
- 9:00 a.m. Orthros and Divine Liturgy
- Friday, September 19
- 6:00 p.m. Orthodoxy on Tap at the Irish Democrat
- Saturday, September 20
- 10:00 a.m. All-youth apple picking
- 5:30 p.m. Great Vespers
- Sunday, September 21 – Sunday after Holy Cross
- 9:00 a.m. Orthros and Divine Liturgy with fellowship and special parish assembly to follow.
The prosfora this week were provided by the Vacation Church School and Goldie Helgens.
Our Fundraising committee will have a short meeting during fellowship this Sunday. Everyone is welcome to attend as we iron out some of the details of the upcoming Fall Dinner.
We need eight people to work on Saturday September 20th from 4-8p.m at the US Cellular Center. Please contact Tina Margellos today at 319-329-6583 if you are available.
Our fall fundraiser is coming up on October 12th. This is an important fundraiser for our community and we need everyone's help to make it a success. A signup sheet is posted in the church hall with for helping at the event. There are lots of positions available and with everyone helping things will run very well. Tickets for the event have been distributed, if you have not received any or need additional ones please see Michael Christodoulou.
As always we are looking for donations to cover the costs of the pastry ingredients. If you are interested in making a monetary donation, please write your checks out to St. John’s Greek Orthodox Church and put “Pastry donation” in the memo part of the check. You may send in the donation or give it to Chris Paxton, our treasurer. These donations help to offset the cost of the ingredients to make these wonderful desserts. If you would prefer to make the pastries, please see the signup sheet in the church hall. If you have any questions please see Regina Christodoulou
Sunday school announcements.
- Middle and High school students will meet at 9:00 a.m.; grades 1-5 will meet after Holy Communion.
- Please allow the teachers receive Holy Communion first so they may be in the hall before the children.
As we continue to pray our weekly paraklesis, please give me the names of your loved ones so that we can pray for their health and salvation. If you have given me the names recently, think about your list on occasion and let me know if there are any changes. Please specify whether you would like all or some of these names to be published in our bulletin so that our parishioners may add them to their daily prayers.
For stewardship in 2014, we have $93,664 pledged so far, of the $100,500 budgeted/$118,715 needed for the 2014 budget. Please fill out a pledge form if you have not done so yet! Forms should be in the narthex.