From the 05-18-14 bulletin
Post date: May 22, 2014 8:04:41 PM
This week at St. John
- Sunday, May 18 – Sunday of the Samaritan Woman
- 9:00 a.m. Orthros and Divine Liturgy; 40-day memorial for Alina Warner's grandmother, Gherghina. Sunday school awards and fellowship to follow
- Sunday school: 9:00 a.m. for Middle and High School, after Communion for K-5
- Monday, May 19
- Seniors’ Event: National Motorcycle Museum in Anamosa: meet at church, cost $9
- Tuesday, May 20
- 5:30 p.m. Great Vespers
- 6:30 p.m. Parish Council meeting
- Wednesday, May 21 – Ss. Constantine and Helen
- 9:00 a.m. Orthros and Divine Liturgy
- Saturday, May 24
- 5:30 p.m. Great Vespers
- Sunday, May 25 – Sunday of the Blind Man
- 9:00 a.m. Orthros and Divine Liturgy with fellowship to follow
Many thanks to all who helped with our Spring Dinner. We sold 635 meals. Please remember to turn in all money for ticket sales, as well as unsold tickets as soon as possible.
The prosfora this week were provided by Regina Christodoulou and Mary Paxton. Prosfora needed.
Stewardship: We have $92,704 pledged so far, of the $100,500 budgeted/$118,715 needed for 2014.
Your help is needed to clean candles so we can save by trading them in. If you are interested in helping, please let Fr. Peter know.
Ladies' Philoptochos Miniature Golf Outing, Tuesday, June 10, at 6:00 p.m. at Airport National Golf Course. RSVP to Kay Escobedo (319-350-9826). All ladies are welcome to come.
We have no sponsorship for our weekly fellowship for the next two Sundays. Our fellowship is a beautiful part of our church family and I would like to ask those of you who have not signed up to sponsor a Sunday this year to do so as soon as possible. The sign-up for 2014 is posted in the church hall and there are many Sundays available in the near future.
Upcoming senior events: Monday, May 19: tour the National Motorcycle Museum in Anamosa, followed by lunch. Meet at the church and car pool. Price is $9; RSVP to Carrol. Monday, June 16: tour the African American Museum in Cedar Rapids. Meet at the museum at 10:30 and have lunch in the New Bo area following the tour. Price is $4 and the museum opens at 10:00.
On Friday, May 30, all of the youth are invited to take a hike, enjoying God's creation at the Indian Creek Nature Center. Meet at the parking lot at 6:30 pm. If your child needs a ride, let Jess White know. We should be done by 7:30. A light snack will be provided, and parents are encouraged to stay with anyone 6 and younger.
We have an opportunity to raise funds for our church by working at a concession stand at events at the US Cellular Center. If you are interested in participating, please sign up in the hall. Please let Michael or Fr. Peter know if you would like to serve as one of the leaders of this project. Our deadline to commit as a group is June 15.