From the 05-12-13 bulletin
Post date: May 22, 2013 9:18:15 PM
This week at St. John
Sunday, May 12 – Sunday of St. Thomas
- 9:00 a.m. Orthros, 10:00 a.m. Divine Liturgy
- Happy Mothers Day! The Sunday school will give a flower to all the moms for Mothers Day.
- Sunday school classes resume today. However there will be no classes on May 19th due to the Grecian dinner and no classes on May 26 for Memorial Day weekend. The last day of Sunday school and Commencement/Awards ceremony will be on Sunday, June 2nd. All teachers must turn in books, folders, and keys today. Please leave these items in your classroom bins in the Sunday school lockers.
Tuesday, May 14
- 6:30 p.m. Philoptochos meeting
Saturday, May 18
- 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. GOYA Event: outdoor athletics
- 5:30 p.m. Great Vespers
Sunday, May 19 – Sunday of the Myrrh-bearers
- 8:15 a.m. Orthros, 9:15 a.m. Divine Liturgy – Please note earlier time!
- There will be no Sunday school classes until June 2 (commencement and awards).
- 11:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. Spring Grecian Dinner at the Scottish Rite Masonic Center.
The prosfora this week were provided by Nadina Geistkemper in memory of her aunt Evelina, Carrol Chipokas, and Mary Siamis.
Our sympathy and condolences go to Jim, Dessie, and Dorothea Allans on the falling asleep in the Lord of Jim’s sister, Vasiliki Dedes, this past Thursday, May 9, in Wilmette, IL.
As a security precaution, unless there is a parish council member on narthex duty, the side door will be locked. The door will be unlocked only during Sunday services. During all services the doorbell will be turned off. Please come in the front door or ask for assistance during regular weekly services.
The food bank continues to have much need for donations. Each time Carrol takes food there they weigh the church's donation, and our gifts are much appreciated. The food pantry donation box is in the narthex area.
Summer is drawing near. Parents, please submit a letter to the parish council if you would like your children to receive assistance towards going to camp. Fanari camp applications are now available. Registration forms are now available for Camp St. George, an Orthodox camp of the Antiochian Archdiocese in Iowa, August 11-17. For more information and registration forms, visit http://campstgeorge.org The registration deadline is June 30.
The dinner is approaching (May 19), and we need help to prepare the pastries. Whether you are able to make the pastries or donate to the materials for making them, please let Eleonora or Regina know.
The SPRING GREEK DINNER tickets have been distributed. If you have not received any or need more after selling these, speak to Michael. There are many empty spots in the sign up sheet and we need your help in order to make this event a success. Pastries for the dinner should be brought to church on Saturday May 18th at 4:30pm. If you have any questions, please see Eleonora.
The hymnology class will meet each Sunday in the hall from June 16 through July 29. Parents may register for the summer program on the sign-up sheet in the hall or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are not participating in the class, please do not enter the hall while class is in session. Teachers are needed! Please see Fr. Peter or Maria Katsiris if you are interested.
If you are interested in studying a book of the Bible, or a certain topic from an Orthodox perspective, please let Fr. Peter know, as he is trying to organize the education program for the fall and spring.