From the 04-20-14 bulletin
Post date: Apr 21, 2014 3:49:10 PM
This week at St. John
- Sunday, April 20 – Pascha, the Queen of Feasts!
- 11:30 a.m. Agape Vespers and children’s egg hunt
- No Sunday school
- Monday, April 21 – Bright Monday
- 11:00 a.m. Seniors’ tour of the DoubleTree
- Deadline for photos and information for May-June newsletter!
- Tuesday, April 22 – Bright Tuesday
- 5:00 p.m. Great Vespers at St. George in Des Moines
- 7:00 p.m. Great Vespers at St. George in Rock Island, IL
- Wednesday, April 23 – Bright Wednesday, St. George the Great Martyr
- 8:00 a.m. Orthros, 9:00 a.m. Divine Liturgy at St. George in Des Moines
- 8:30 a.m. Orthros, 10:00 a.m. Divine Liturgy at St. George in Rock Island, IL
- 8:00 a.m. Orthros, 9:00 a.m. Divine Liturgy at St. George in Cedar Rapids
- Thursday, April 24 – Bright Thursday
- 6:00 p.m. Great Vespers
- Friday, April 25 – Bright Friday, Theotokos the Life-giving Spring
- 9:00 a.m. Orthros and Divine Liturgy
- Saturday, April 26 – Bright Saturday
- 10:00 a.m. Liturgical burning at the Wright home
- 4:30 p.m. Byzantine chant
- 5:30 p.m. Great Vespers
- Sunday, April 27 – Sunday of St. Thomas
- 9:00 a.m. Orthros and Divine Liturgy with fellowship to follow
- Sunday school: 9:00 a.m. for Middle and High School, after Communion for K-5
The prosfora this week were provided by Nadina Geistkemper, Tula Margellos, Regina Christodoulou, Mary Paxton, and Eleonora Rieck.
Please submit your photos and information for the May-June newsletter to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than midnight on Monday, April 21.
The seniors’ tour of the DoubleTree was rescheduled for Monday, April 21. We will meet with Karen in the first-floor lobby of the DoubleTree at 11:00 a.m., tour the hotel, and have lunch at the 350 (on the top floor). Please contact Angie if you plan to attend so that Karen can make reservations for lunch.
The burning of liturgical items will take place on Saturday, April 26, at 10:00 a.m. at the Wright home.
Mark your calendars: the Spring Grecian Dinner is coming up on Sunday, May 4. This is an important fundraiser for our parish, and we need everyone’s help to sell tickets and volunteer for a successful event. If you haven’t already, please sign up to help at the event.
We are looking for a couple of people to help make karidopita for the Greek dinner. Sign up in the hall.
Make a check to St. John marked “Pastry donation” to offset ingredient costs for Spring Dinner pastries.
The sign-up for fellowship is posted in the hall. There are still plenty of Sundays needing a sponsor.
We have an opportunity to raise funds for our church by working at a concession stand at events at the US Cellular Center. If you are interested in participating, please sign up in the hall. Please let Michael or Fr. Peter know if you would like to serve as one of the leaders of this project.
Stewardship: We have $92,104 pledged so far, of the $100,500 budgeted/$118,715 needed for 2014.
As we come close to the end of the academic year, Sunday school students attempting to complete the achievement program need to meet with Fr. Peter to check that they have achieved their program goals.