From the 04-07-13 bulletin
Post date: Apr 8, 2013 6:50:35 PM
This week at St. John
- Sunday, April 7 – Sunday of the Holy Cross
- OCMC collections continue. Our goal is to collect $250 before Palm Sunday. Please put your donation in the OCMC box of one of our Sunday school students.
- Those who placed book orders may pick them up next Sunday during fellowship.
- A second tray will be passed today to aid the restoration of the parish of St. Basil in Chicago, which was severely damaged by a fire on Clean Monday, March 18
- 5:30 p.m. Pan-Orthodox Vespers at St. Elias in Dubuque
- Monday, April 8
- 1:30 p.m. Bible study - the book of Hebrews (group 1)
- 6:00 p.m. Compline
- Tuesday, April 9
- 10:30 a.m. Bible study - the book of Hebrews (group 2)
- 1:00 – 3:00 p.m. Seniors’ event: Ron Semler at St. George. Coffee, desserts, and music
- 5:30 p.m. Children’s Level 3 Greek school
- 6:30 p.m. Philoptochos meeting
- Wednesday, April 10
- 5:30 p.m. Presanctified Liturgy – GOYA worship and religious education
- 7:00 p.m. Lenten meal
- 7:30 p.m. Religious education
- Thursday, April 11
- Newsletter submissions are due!
- 12:00 noon Senior group event
- Friday, April 12
- 6:00 p.m. Salutations
- 7:00 p.m. Bible study - the book of Hebrews (group 3)
- Saturday, April 13
- 4:30 p.m. Byzantine chant
- 5:30 p.m. Great Vespers
- Sunday, April 14 – Sunday of St. John of the Ladder
- 9:00 a.m. Orthros, 10:00 a.m. Divine Liturgy, followed by fellowship in the hall
- 12:00 noon Spring Parish Assembly
- 5:30 p.m. Pan-Orthodox Vespers at St. George in Cedar Rapids
The prosfora this week were provided by Mary Moscrip and Regina Christodoulou.
Spring Parish Assembly -Sunday, April 14. The Spring Parish Assembly will take place on Sunday, April 14, following fellowship. There will be an update on the progress made towards addressing handicap accessibility for our building. Please remember that eligible voters need to have filled out a Pledge Form for 2013, paid 25% of their 2013 total pledge by the day of the Parish Assembly, and paid all prior year pledge balances 30 days prior to the Parish Assembly. Please see the list of eligible voters downstairs.
The Palm Sunday fish luncheon will be hosted by Sunday school families on Sunday, April 28. If you are planning to attend, please use the sign-up sheet so we can prepare enough fish for all. Sunday school families and teachers: please consider how best to contribute to the luncheon, then sign up on the posted sheet to donate food items and your time for preparation and clean-up.
St. George will be organizing retreats for middle and high school students on Friday, April 26, and Saturday, April 27, and for pre-school through fifth grade on Saturday, April 27. Please contact Fr. Peter if interested.
This Lent we are embarking on a fundraiser for replacing our altar boy robes. Currently we have two partial and mismatched sets. A new set will cost $2,400. Please use the sign-up sheet in the hall for donations.
Sign up for Easter Flower Donations. A sign-up sheet has been posted in the church hall for those who would like to donate towards the flower decorations we will be using throughout Lent.
Needed: Candy donations for the Egg Hunt on Pascha. There is a box over the coat rack for candy donations. Thank you in advance for your gift.
The food bank continues to have much need for donations. Each time Carrol takes food there they weigh the church's donation, and our gifts are much appreciated. Lent brings a reminder to continue this helpful gifting via our service and outreach program. The food pantry donation box is in the narthex area.
Summer is drawing near. Parents, please submit a letter to the parish council if you would like your children to receive assistance towards going to camp. Fanari camp applications are now available.
Thank you to the following young ladies who volunteered to be our myrrhbearers on Holy Friday. Kalliopi Katsiris, Athina Canas, Zoe White, Katherine and Samantha Wright.
The dinner is approaching and we need help with the preparations of the pastries. Whether you are able to make the pastries or donate to the materials for making them, please let Eleonora or Regina know. We will keep you posted in the bulletin about the pastry classes that Eleonora or Regina will be doing soon. Thank you.
On Bright Friday, May 10, the Metropolis of Chicago will host a groundbreaking ceremony for St. Iakovos Retreat Center in Brighton, WI.