From the 03-31-13 bulletin
Post date: Apr 4, 2013 10:59:46 PM
This week at St. John
- Sunday, March 31 – Sunday of St. Gregory Palamas
- 5:30 p.m. Pan-Orthodox Vespers at St. Raphael in Iowa City
- Last week, with the coins from the Sunday school OCMC boxes, we collected $145.Thanks to those who contributed! Our goal is to collect $250 before Palm Sunday. Please put your donation in the OCMC box of one of our Sunday school students.
- Today is the last day to order gifts delivered in time for Pascha from the bookstore!
- Monday, April 1
- 1:30 p.m. Bible study - the book of Hebrews (group 1)
- 6:00 p.m. Compline
- Tuesday, April 2
- 10:30 a.m. Bible study - the book of Hebrews (group 2)
- 5:30 p.m. Children’s Level 3 Greek school
- 6:15 p.m. Adults’ Level 1 Greek school
- Wednesday, April 3
- 5:30 p.m. Presanctified Liturgy
- 7:00 p.m. Lenten meal
- 7:30 p.m. Religious education
- Friday, April 5
- 6:00 p.m. Salutations
- 7:00 p.m. Bible study - the book of Hebrews (group 3)
- Saturday, April 6
- 4:30 p.m. Byzantine chant
- 5:30 p.m. Great Vespers
- Sunday, April 7 – Sunday of the Cross
- 9:00 a.m. Orthros, 10:00 a.m. Divine Liturgy, followed by fellowship in the hall
- 5:30 p.m. Pan-Orthodox Vespers at St. Elias in Dubuque
The prosfora this week were provided by Edie Yerington (Wednesday), and Tula Margellos and Goldie Helgens (Sunday).
Sign up for Easter Flower Donations. A sign-up sheet has been posted in the church hall for those who would like to donate towards the flower decorations we will be using throughout Lent.
Spring Parish Assembly -Sunday, April 14. The Spring Parish Assembly will take place on Sunday, April 14, following fellowship. There will be an update on the progress made towards addressing handicap accessibility for our building. Please remember that eligible voters need to have filled out a Pledge Form for 2013, paid 25% of their 2013 total pledge by the day of the Parish Assembly, and paid all prior year pledge balances 30 days prior to the Parish Assembly. A list of eligible voters will be posted following the last Sunday of March.
Girls aged 7-12 who would like to be myrrh-bearers on Holy Friday must sign up by April 14. You will need a white dress and white shoes.
The Palm Sunday fish luncheon will be hosted by Sunday school families on Sunday, April 28. If you are planning to attend, please use the sign-up sheet so we can prepare enough fish for all. Sunday school families and teachers: please consider how best to contribute to the luncheon, then sign up on the posted sheet to donate food items and your time for preparation and clean-up.
Needed: Candy donations for the Egg Hunt on Pascha. Shop early; don't wait for Pascha. Wrapped candy and plastic eggs will be gone soon. Please put your candy and egg donations in the box over the coat rack. Thanks!
This Lenten period we are embarking on a fundraiser for replacing our altar boy robes. Currently we have two incomplete and mismatched sets. A new set will cost $2,400. If you are interested in donating towards this project please utilize the sign-up sheet in the hall.
The food bank continues to have much need for donations. Each time Carrol takes food there they weigh the church's donation and our gifts are much appreciated. Lent brings a reminder to continue this helpful gifting via our service and outreach program. The food pantry donation box is in the narthex area.
Our parish has $500 available for use in 2013, with an individual maximum of $250 per child, for summer camp. Parents, please submit a letter to the parish council if you would like your children to receive assistance towards going to camp. The children are expected to be part of a fundraiser towards this assistance fund, so that we will be able to afford the same opportunity next year. More details will be forthcoming.
The parish of St. George will be organizing two retreats: a Lenten retreat for middle and high school students on Friday, April 26, and Saturday, April 27, and a Lazarus Saturday retreat for pre-school through fifth grade on Saturday, April 27. If you are interested in participating, please contact Fr. Peter.