From the 03-24-13 bulletin
Post date: Apr 4, 2013 10:29:45 PM
This week at St. John
- Today, March 24
- A second tray will be passed in support of the Orthodox Christian Mission Center.
- After the Divine Liturgy the Sunday school children will participate in the Procession of the Holy Icons for the Sunday of Orthodoxy. Children may bring icons to the Pan-Orthodox Vespers this evening.
- Before fellowship today the Greek School will host the Annual Greek Independence Day Program. Poems and Songs from the time of the 1821 Independence War of the Ottoman Rule. Come down and celebrate this glorious day in our Greek tradition.
- Book orders are ready for pick up. The book store will again accept orders today through March 31 if you would like to order gifts delivered in time for Pascha.
- Fundraising Committee Meeting – today during fellowship. Anyone interested in being part of the fundraising committee for 2013 is invited to attend a short meeting during today’s fellowship. If you have any questions, please see Michael Christodoulou.
- Please donate coins to the Sunday school for their fundraiser for OCMC.
- 1:00 – 3:00 p.m. GOYA bowling at Westdale Bowling Center
- 5:30 p.m. Pan-Orthodox Vespers for the Annunciation, with Icon Procession; fellowship meal to follow
- Monday, March 25 – Great Feast of the Annunciation
- 9:00 a.m. Orthros, 10:00 a.m. Divine Liturgy
- 1:30 p.m. Bible study - the book of Hebrews (group 1)
- 6:00 p.m. Compline
- Tuesday, March 26
- 10:30 a.m. Bible study - the book of Hebrews (group 2)
- 5:30 p.m. Children’s Level 3 Greek school
- 6:15 p.m. Adults’ Level 1 Greek school
- Wednesday, March 27
- 5:30 p.m. Presanctified Liturgy
- 7:00 p.m. Lenten meal
- 7:30 p.m. Religious education
- Friday, March 29
- 6:00 p.m. Salutations
- 7:00 p.m. Bible study - the book of Hebrews (group 3)
- Saturday, March 30
- 3:00 p.m. Long-range Planning Committee meeting
- 5:30 p.m. Great Vespers
- Sunday, March 31 – Sunday of St. Gregory Palamas
- 9:00 a.m. Orthros, 10:00 a.m. Divine Liturgy, followed by fellowship in the hall
- 5:30 p.m. Pan-Orthodox Vespers at St. Raphael in Iowa City
The prosfora this week were provided by Mary Dalamaggas (Saturday), and Venetta Korovilas and Goldie Helgens (Sunday). Starting last week, multiple lambs are consecrated on Sunday for the Presanctified Liturgies.
Sign up for Easter Flower Donations. A sign-up sheet has been posted in the church hall for those who would like to donate towards the flower decorations we will be using throughout Lent.
Financial summary, January and February 2013: Income: $10,185.84, Expenses: $20,736.96, Net: -($10,551.12)
Spring Parish Assembly - Sunday, April 14. The Spring Parish Assembly will take place on Sunday, April 14, following fellowship. Please remember that eligible voters need to have filled out a Pledge Form for 2013, paid 25% of their 2013 total pledge by the day of the Parish Assembly, and paid all prior year pledge balances 30 days prior to the Parish Assembly. A list of eligible voters will be posted following the last Sunday of March.
Girls aged 7-12 who would like to be myrrh-bearers on Holy Friday must sign up by April 14. You will need a white dress and white shoes.
Needed: Candy donations for the Egg Hunt on Pascha. Shop early; don't wait for Pascha. Wrapped candy and plastic eggs will be gone soon.
This Lenten period we are embarking on a fundraiser for replacing our altar boy robes. Currently we have two incomplete and mismatched sets. A new set will cost $2,400. If you are interested in donating towards this project please utilize the sign-up sheet in the hall.
Our parish has $500 available for use in 2013, with an individual maximum of $250 per child, for summer camp. Parents, please submit a letter to the parish council if you would like your children to receive assistance towards going to camp. The children are expected to be part of a fundraiser towards this assistance fund, so that we will be able to afford the same opportunity next year. More details will be forthcoming.