From 2/28/10 Sunday Bulletin
Post date: May 3, 2010 4:31:11 PM
· TODAY - SUNDAY OF ST GREGORY PALAMAS. All Sunday School students and children will participate in the Procession with the holy Icons today immediately after the Divine Liturgy. Extra icons are available for those whose parents forgot to bring their own J
· TODAY – PAN-ORTHODOX LENTEN VESPERS – TODAY at 5:30pm will be hosted by OUR PARISH. Please come/participate and enjoy the fellowship over a wonderful Lenten Meal. The clean-up after the meal can take as little as 15 minutes (when we have a good group of helpers/workers), but surely becomes a burden if only one or two persons stay behind; we need some more people to sign up.
· MISSIONS COINBOX DRIVE – Our Sunday School’s effort to support Orthodox missions throughout the world is off to a great start since our Missions Collection on Forgiveness Sunday totaled $249. As we do every year, our Sunday School students will bring back their coinboxes every Sunday and do their own mini collection. At the end of lent, we forward all they have collected to OCMC.
· FLOWER DONATIONS – It is again the time of the year when we have the opportunity to contribute to the beautification of our Lenten services by donating flowers and other liturgical items for use during the Great and Holy LENT. The sign-up form is on the bulletin board.
· LIFE LESSONS FROM SUNDAY GOSPEL READINGS (2010) – EVERY TUESDAY from 5:30pm-6:30pm (unless otherwise noted) – This in-depth look at the Gospel Readings prescribed by the Orthodox Church for each of the 52 Sundays for 2010 focuses on how to best apply the teachings from these Gospel Readings to our every-day lives. Come and join us!
· GREEK SCHOOL TIME CHANGE (for the Adult Class) – EVERY WEDNESDAY AT 4:30PM - For the duration of Great and Holy Lent, BOTH (the adult and children classes) will be held at 4:30pm-5:30pm, so as to not interfere with the Lenten Wednesday evening program (PreSanctified Liturgy at 5:30pm, Lenten Meal at 6:45pm, & Religious Education at 7:15pm-8:30pm). Come and see!
· LENTEN WEDNESDAY EVENINGS at 5:30pm-8:30pm – Every Wednesday Evening during the Great and Holy Lent starting the Wednesday, February 17, we will serve the PreSanctified Divine Liturgy at 5:30pm, partake of the Lenten Meals prepared by our ladies at about 6:45pm and participate in a Religious Education Class at about 7:15pm; will end at 8:30pm. A solid effort to dedicate these 3 hours weekly will be a worth-while investment in our spiritual development. Please come/see/experience/participate!
· LENTEN FRIDAY EVENINGS at 5:30pm-6:45pm – Salutations and Akathist Services
· ORTHODOX SPIRITUALITY SYMPOSIUM on MARCH 6, 2010 (12:30pm-4:30pm) in St. PAUL, MN – This March 6th Saturday afternoon symposium will constitute of 5 different lectures by high-caliber presenters. Please let Fr. Ciprian know if you are interested in participating/attending; several of our congregation are considering leaving the night before and returning on Saturday, March 6. Others might choose to leave first thing Saturday morning. There is NO COST for participation. You can see details about this symposium (presentation topics and presenters) at www.spiritualitysymposium.com where you can also register online for free. No Vespers this Saturday (Mar. 6).
· THIS SATURDAY EVENING (MAR. 6) – NO Vespers or Altar Boy Training at St. John’s due to the ORTHDOX SPIRITUALITY SYMPOSIUM. Saturday Vespers at St. George start at 5:00pm.
· LENTEN SUNDAY EVENINGS at 5:30pm – Pan-Orthodox Lenten Vespers (see schedule)
· NEXT SUNDAY (MAR. 7) - HOLY CROSS LUNCHEON – This fundraising luncheon organized by PHILOPTOCHOS will support Holy Cross Seminary / Hellenic College - the place where most priests of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese receive their training. A collection basket will also be passed.
· NEXT LENTEN VESPERS (MAR. 7) – will be hosted by St. Raphael Church in Iowa City.
· THE MESSENGER (March-April Newsletter Issue) – This issue should reach our homes this week.