From 10-23-2011 Sunday Bulletin
Post date: Oct 31, 2011 7:30:14 PM
· CONGRATULATIONS to Selena Malek (Barbara) Canas for her Baptism & Chrismation into the Orthodox Christian faith, which took place Saturday, October 15th. Her God-mother is Maleki and her parents are Paul and Maria. She will be coming to communion first down the center isle.
· TODAY – 40-day Memorial Service for John Margellos. May his soul rest in peace among the saints and his memory be eternal.
· TODAY – After Fellowship - Parish Council Meeting
· TODAY – 4:00pm-6:00pm Financial Peace Class
· Tue, Oct. 25 – 4:00pm Service Outreach Committee Meeting
· Tue, Oct. 25 – 5:30pm-6:30pm WEEKLY ORTHODOX-CHRISTIAN LESSONS – This week’s lesson will be from the Gospel and Epistle readings of today.
· Wed, Oct. 26 – St. Demetrios the Myrrhbearer – 9am Orthros & 10am Divine Liturgy
· Wed, Oct. 26 – Fr. Ciprian will be Anointing with Myrrh from the Hawaiian Iveron Icon those parishioners who cannot physically make it to the service on Friday evening at 6:00pm.
· Wed, Oct. 26 – 1:30pm-3:00pm Nursing Home Visitations. Our Visitations Team will meet at Living Center West. All are welcome! Contact Elleni Huerter for more details.
· Wed, Oct. 26 – GREEK SCHOOL – 4:30pm-5:30pm Children; 6:00pm-7:00pm Adults
· Thu, Oct. 27 – 6:00pm-9:00pm METROPOLITAN IAKOVOS Name Day Dinner in Chicago, IL
· Fri, Oct. 28 (Holy Protection of the Theotokos & OXI Day) – PARAKLESIS & ANOINTING WITH MYRRH – Come and be anointed with Myrrh from the Myrrh-Streaming Iveron Icon (from Hawaii) following the Paraklesis Service at 6:00pm and also learn more about this Icon and about this October 28th feast of the Church during Fr. Ciprian's sermon.
· Sat, Oct. 29 – YOUTH SERVICE MINISTRY – Please read the “Leaf” it to Us handout and place your name on the Sign-up Sheet in the hall if you want our youth to come rake your leaves.
· Sat., Oct. 29 – Bake Sale at St. George Antiochian Orthodox Church (see flyers for details)
· Sat, Oct. 29 – 3:00pm-5:00pm – LONG-RANGE PLANNING MEETING – ALL members of this committee should attend this meeting. Good participation is key to the establishment of a healthy long-range vision. Any steward of our parish is welcome to attend as well.
· Sat, Oct. 29 – 5:30pm Great Vespers & Memorial Service for George, Louis, Vincent (Khouri)
· SUNDY SCHOOL – There still is a position open for a Christmas Play Director this Year. The Christmas play will be on Sun, Dec. 18th. Speak to Fr. Ciprian or Maria Katsiris asap if interested.
· NEW SERVICE OUTREACH OPPORTUNITIES – 1). RONALD MCDONALD HOUSE in Iowa City provides meals for families of sick children being treated at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics. They need volunteers to provide a meal for 40 people and deliver it once a month. Those who prepare or deliver the food also have the opportunity to eat with the families. Coordinator for this Outreach ministry is Edie Yerington. 2). OLIVET NEIGHBORHOOD MISSION provides food and clothing for the poor. They need people to work the front desk, sort clothes, or help with food basket preparation. Our volunteers can choose to work any time between 8:30am-11:30am, Monday through Saturday. Coordinator for this Outreach ministry is Goldie Helgens.
· BLINDS FOR THE CHURCH HALL – A Sign-up Sheet for donations toward the cost of blinds can be found in the Church Hall. Please be generous; we hope to place the order soon.