From 10-16-2011 Sunday Bulletin
Post date: Oct 21, 2011 4:59:42 PM
· CONGRATULATIONS to Selena Malek (Barbara) Canas for her Baptism & Chrismation into the Orthodox Christian faith, which took place yesterday, Saturday, October 15th. Her God-mother is Maleki and her parents are Paul and Maria.
· Tula and Nick Margellos would like to thank all the ladies that brought cakes and cookies for the Trisagion and Memorial lunch for their son, John Margellos.
· TODAY – 4:00pm-6:00pm Financial Peace Class & LAST DAY for Messenger Submissions
· Mon, Oct. 17 – 11:00am -1:30pm SENIORS' EVENT – Tour of newly-built Coralville Center for Performing Arts and lunch at Charlotte's Restaurant. RSVP with Edie Yerington TODAY please.
· Tue, Oct. 18 – 5:30pm-6:30pm WEEKLY ORTHODOX-CHRISTIAN LESSONS – This week’s lesson will be on the teachings of St. John Chrysostom on what truly hurts us.
· Tue, Oct. 18 – 6:30pm-8:00pm Parish Council Meeting
· Wed, Oct. 19 – GREEK SCHOOL – 4:30pm-5:30pm Children; 6:00pm-7:00pm Adults
· Sat, Oct. 22 – 3:00pm-5:00pm – SWORD #3 – Series of Workshops on Orthodox Relationship Development. This workshop will examine differences between feelings of worthlessness and humility and compassion versus self-centeredness. Let Father or Pre. Maggie know if you’re coming.
· Sat, Oct. 22 – 5:30pm Great Vespers
· PROSFORO – Speak to Father if you’d like to make prosforo for the Divine Liturgy. We need some.
· SUNDY SCHOOL – There is a position open for a Christmas Play Director this Year. The Christmas.
· NEW SERVICE OUTREACH OPPORTUNITIES – 1). RONALD MCDONALD HOUSE in Iowa City provides meals for families of sick children being treated at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics. They need volunteers to provide a meal for 40 people and deliver it once a month. Those who prepare or deliver the food also have the opportunity to eat with the families. Coordinator for this Outreach ministry is Edie Yerington. 2). OLIVET NEIGHBORHOOD MISSION provides food and clothing for the poor. They need people to work the front desk, sort clothes, or help with food basket preparation. Our volunteers can choose to work any time between 8:30am-11:30am, Monday through Saturday. Coordinator for this Outreach ministry is Goldie Helgens.
· BLINDS FOR THE CHURCH HALL – A Sign-up Sheet for donations toward the cost of blinds can be found in the Church Hall. Please be generous; we hope to place the order soon.
· GREEK FOOD ITEMS FOR SALE: gyros, pita bread, olives, feta.
· Thu, Oct. 27 – 6:00pm-9:00pm METROPOLITAN IAKOVOS Name Day Dinner in Chicago, IL
· Sat, Oct. 29 – YOUTH SERVICE MINISTRY – Please read the “Leaf” it to Us handout and place your name on the Sign-up Sheet in the hall if you want our youth to come rake your leaves.
· Sat, Oct. 29 – 3:00pm-5:00pm – LONG-RANGE PLANNING MEETING – ALL members of this committee should attend this meeting. Good participation is key to the establishment of a healthy long-range vision. Any steward of our parish is welcome to attend as well.
· Fri, Oct. 28 (Holy Protection of the Theotokos) – PARAKLESIS & ANOINTING WITH MYRRH – Come and be anointed with Myrrh from the Myrrh-Streaming Iveron Icon (from Hawaii) following the Paraklesis Service at 6:00pm and also learn more about this Icon and about this October 28th feast of the Church during Fr. Ciprian's sermon.