From 09-25-2011 Sunday Bulletin
Post date: Sep 26, 2011 2:42:12 AM
· Memory Eternal to John Margellos, son of Nick and Tula and brother of Peter and Tina. His wake was on Friday and funeral was yesterday (Saturday, September 24th). May his soul rest in peace among the saints.
· Memory Eternal to Angeline Gill who fell asleep in the Lord on Friday, September 23rd. Her funeral will take place in Fairfield, IA on Tuesday, September 27th. May her soul rest in peace among the saints.
· TODAY - 40-day Churching of Linsey Kemner and Presentation of Joseph John, son of Linsey and Adam Kemner. Congratulations! Congratulations!
· TODAY – OCF COLLEGE STUDENT SUNDAY – A special collection will be passed for the Orthodox Christian Fellowship Campus Ministry (OCF), which aims to keep our Orthodox youth connected to their local church and their faith. This being the single biggest fundraiser of the year for this wonderful Pan-Orthodox organization, the North American OCF Office has partnered with local chapters so that a percentage of the funds raised from this important day is shared with local chapters. The U of I OCF chapter meets regularly on Thursdays at 6:00pm in Iowa City. Speak to Fr. Ciprian.
· TODAY – Sun, Sep. 25 – 4:00pm-6:00pm – Financial Peace Class with Dave Ramsey
· Mon, Sep. 26 – Fr. Ciprian administering Communion in parishioner’s homes/care centers.
· Tue, Sep. 27 – 10:00am Funeral of Angeline Gill in Fairfield, IA
· Tue, Sep. 27 – 4:00pm-5:00pm Service Outreach Meeting
· Tue, Sep. 27 – 5:30pm-6:30pm WEEKLY ORTHODOX-CHRISTIAN LESSONS – This week’s lesson will be from the Holy Scriptures (Epistle Reading - 2 Corinthians 4:6-15).
· Tue, Sep. 27 – 6:30pm Parish Council Meeting (please note it is at 6:30pm not 6:00pm)
· Wed, Sep. 28 – 1:30pm-3:00pm Our Nursing Home Visitations team will meet at Living Care West
· Wed, Sep. 28 – 4:30pm-5:20pm Children’s Greek School
· Wed, Sep. 28 – 6:00pm-7:00pm Adult Greek School
· Sat, Oct. 1 – HOPE & JOY Event (10:00am-12noon) – The HOPE and JOY groups will be meeting in the church parking lot right before 10:00am Saturday, October 1 and will travel to the MacBride Nature and Recreation center to tour the Rapture center. The Raptor Center is home to several species of permanently disabled hawks, eagles, owls, and falcons. After investigating these inspiring creatures, we will enjoy the Majesty of God, by taking a nature hike, on one of the many trails in this park area. Bring a brown bag lunch, and please dress appropriately.
· Sat, Oct. 1 – 5:30pm Great Vespers
· Wed-Sat, Oct. 5-8 – Metropolis Clergy-Laity Assembly in Champaign, IL (4.5 hrs. from Cedar Rapids) --- MORE INFORMATION: Presbytera Maggie learned that a Myrrh-Streaming, Wonder-Working Icon from Hawaii (which is known to have performed some miracles already) is taken through many cities in the eastern area and will be in Parma, OH (7.5 hrs. from Champaign, IL) during the Divine Liturgy on Thursday, Oct. 6. Thus, on Wednesday (Oct. 5) Pres. Maggie will continue her pilgrimage from Champaign to Parma in order to venerate the icon and hopefully receive some of the myrrh on Thursday morning. She will then return to Champaign and taste the Clergy-Laity for the next couple of days, since Father will need a ride back to Cedar Rapids. If anyone else is interested in this super quick pilgrimage, speak to Fr. Ciprian or Pres. Maggie for more details today. Whether you choose to stay at the Clergy-Laity Assembly after venerating the icon (and how long) is strictly up to you, of course.
· Sun, Oct. 9 (11:00am-7:00pm) – FALL GREEK DINNER – Our ability to make this Fundraiser a success for our church hinges on our willingness to give of our time and of our talents. Let’s help our church benefit from our good work in ticket sales, cooking, working, serving, etc. PLEASE SIGN UP NOW for work shifts and things will function productively and smoothly during the dinner. Services on this day will be half an hour earlier (8:30am Orthros & 9:30am Divine Liturgy).
· Youth Service Ministry – Please read the “Leaf” it to Us handout and look for the sign-up sheet in the hall if you are interested in having our youth come rake leaves for you on Sat, Oct. 29th, 2011.