From 09-18-2011 Sunday Bulletin
Post date: Sep 19, 2011 3:01:36 AM
· TODAY – Memory Eternal to Katinka Vales de Kelleher who passed away on September 11th. She was the grandmother of Antonio and Cassiani Kelleher and todays Fellowship is offered in her honor.
· TODAY – A special collection will be done by Philoptochos after the Divine Liturgy in support of Hellenic College / Holy Cross Seminary.
· TODAY – OCF COLLEGE STUDENT SUNDAY – The Orthodox Christian Fellowship Campus Ministry is a vital part of keeping our Orthodox youth connected to their local church and their faith. To this end, a special collection plate will be passed in our church NEXT SUNDAY. This being single biggest fundraiser of the year for this wonderful Pan-Orthodox organizations, the North American OCF Office has partnered with local chapters so that a percentage of the funds raised from this important day is shared with local chapters. The U of Iowa OCF chapter now meets regularly every Thursday at 6:00pm in Iowa City. Speak to Fr. Ciprian for details.
· TODAY – Sun, Sep. 18 – 4:00pm-6:00pm – Financial Peace Class with Dave Ramsey
· Mon, Sep. 19 – 6:00pm Stewardship Committee Meeting
· Tue, Sep. 20 – 5:30pm-6:30pm WEEKLY ORTHODOX-CHRISTIAN LESSONS – This week’s lesson will be from the Holy Scriputures (Epistle Reading - Galations 2:16-20). This week’s class will shortened to about half hour due to the Parish Council Meeting which starts at 6:00pm.
· Tue, Sep. 20 – 6:00pm Parish Council Meeting
· Wed, Sep. 21 – 4:30pm-5:20pm Children’s Greek School
· Wed, Sep. 21 – 5:30pm-6:30pm Adult Greek School (2 consecutive classes)
Sat, Sep. 24 – 5:30pm Great Vespers
· CHURCH BEAUTIFICATION – Thanks to Konstantine’s continuing efforts with the painting. Father’s stop in Rochester, MN on Labor Day weekend to pick up the donated Pantocrator, resulted in an unexpected blessing upon our parish: Holy Anargyroi (Sts. Cosmas & Damianos) Greek Orthodox Church donated to our parish a beautiful Pantocrator icon, as well as two angels and the four Evangelists. May God bless that parish with continued fruitful work in the Lord’s vineyard. The Parish Council will look into the proper use of these icons
· Sat, Oct. 1 – HOPE & JOY Event (10:00am-12noon) – The HOPE and JOY groups will be meeting in the church parking lot right before 10:00am Saturday, October 1 and will travel to the MacBride Nature and Recreation center to tour the Rapture center. The Rapture center is home to several species of permanently disabled hawks, eagles, owls, and falcons. After investigating these inspiring creatures, we will enjoy the Majesty of God, by taking a nature hike, on one of the many trails in this park area. Bring a brown bag lunch, and please dress appropriately.
· Sun, Oct. 9 (11:00am-7:00pm) – FALL GREEK DINNER – Our ability to make this Fundraiser a success for our church hinges on our willingness to give of our time and of our talents. Let’s help our church benefit from our good work in ticket sales, cooking, working, serving, etc. PLEASE SIGN UP NOW for work shifts and things will function productively and smoothly during the dinner. Services on this day will be half an hour earlier (8:30am Orthros & 9:30am Divine Liturgy).
· Sat, Oct. 15 - SYNERGY SYMPOSIUM in Chicago – Fr. Thomas Hopko will speak about Theological and Spiritual implications on the Orthodox Faith pertaining to Human Sexuality and Homosexual attraction and behavior. Registration prior to Oct. 7 is $35. See Poster for details.
· Sat-Sun, Oct. 15-16 – BYZANTINE CHANT WORKSHOP – St. Raphael Orthodox Church (722 E. College St., Iowa City, IA) is hosting a workshop with Richard Barrett of All Saints Orthodox Church (Bloomington, IN) who received part of his training from master chanter Ioannis Arvinitis in Athens. Registration is $30. Contact Matthew Arndt (firstname.lastname@example.org or 319-354-0189) for more information or to register.