From 09-11-2011 Sunday Bulletin
Post date: Sep 19, 2011 3:00:33 AM
· CONGRATULATIONS to Peter and Allison Hadjis for being united in the Sacrament of Holy Matrimony this past Saturday, September 3rd in Minneapolis, MN.
· CONGRATULATIONS to Fr. Elias and Kh. Irene for celebrating 33 years of Marriage yesterday.
· TODAY – Immediately after the Children’s Sermon which always follows the Gospel Reading, Fr. Ciprian will read the Special Prayer over our students for the Beginning of the Sunday School Year.
· TODAY – A Trisagion Service will be sung in memory of all the victims of September 11th.
· TODAY – We say Good Bye or rather See You Again to Fr. Ciprian’s parents (Fr. Aurel & Pre. Lidia Sas) who were with us for 2 weeks. May God bless them with good health and happiness.
· TODAY – Sun, Sep. 11 – 4:00pm-6:00pm – Financial Peach Class with Dave Ramsey
· TODAY – 4:00pm-6:00pm Every Sunday – This Financial Peace Class with Dave Ramsey starts today. Facilitators are Frank Dancer and Elleni Huerter.
· Tue, Sep. 13 – 5:30pm-6:30pm WEEKLY ORTHODOX-CHRISTIAN LESSONS – Each lesson for this educational ministry will be developed around a theme from different Orthodox resources (Holy Scriptures, Liturgical life of the Church, Pastoral Practices, Orthodox Doctrine, etc.). This week’s lesson will come from the Liturgical Life of the Orthodox Church and focus on the celebration of the Elevation of the Cross. The last 30 minutes will entail participation in the Vespers for this Feast.
· Tue, Sep. 13 – 6:00pm Great Vespers for the Elevation of the Holy Cross
· Tue, Sep. 13 – 6:30pm Philoptochos Meeting
· Wed, Sep. 14 – Elevation of the Holy Cross – 9:00am Orthros & 10:00am Divine Liturgy;
· Wed, Sep. 14 – 1:30pm-3:00pm – VISITATIONS at Living Care West (1050 4th Ave SE). Our Service Outreach Visitations Team welcomes anyone to join them. Contact Elleni Huerter for details.
· Wed, Sep. 14 – 4:30pm-5:20pm Children’s Greek School
· Wed, Sep. 14 – 5:30pm-6:30pm Adult Greek School (2 consecutive classes)
· Sat, Sep. 17 – 10:00am – APPLE PICKING – Our HOPE Group invites all parishioners to our annual Apple Picking Event. We will meet at church at 9:30am Saturday, September 17 and then drive to Wilson Apple Orchard (2924 Orchard Ln NE, Iowa City) to spend a relaxing morning, taking a tractor ride, picking apples, and enjoying lunch together under the shade. There will be apple pastries available for purchase on site, please bring water, and a brown bag lunch. For details, contact Elleni Huerter at 319-560-3902.
· Sat, Sep. 17 – 5:30pm Great Vespers
· CHURCH BEAUTIFICATION – Many thanks to Michael, Konstantine and Evan for the many hours of manual labor (landscaping, painting, etc.) yesterday. The fruits of their work are very visible – great job. The current stage of the ongoing Church Beautification Project involves more painting and other manual work. Please speak to Edie, Michael, or Father if you are interested to help. MORE: Father’s stop in Rochester, MN last week to pick up the donated Pantocrator, resulted in an unexpected blessing upon our parish: Holy Anargyroi (Sts. Cosmas & Damianos) Greek Orthodox Church donated to our parish a beautiful Pantocrator icon, as well as two angels and the four Evangelists. May God bless that parish with continued fruitful work in the Lord’s vineyard.
· Sat-Sun, Oct. 15-16 – BYZANTINE CHANT WORKSHOP – St. Raphael Orthodox Church (722 E. College St., Iowa City, IA) is hosting a workshop with Richard Barrett of All Saints Orthodox Church (Bloomington, IN) who received part of his training from master chanter Ioannis Arvinitis in Athens. Registration is $30. Contact Matthew Arndt (email@example.com or 319-354-0189) for more information or to register.
· Sun, Oct. 9 (11:00am-7:00pm) – FALL GREEK DINNER – Our ability to make this Fundraiser a success for our church hinges on our willingness to give of our time and of our talents. Let’s help our church benefit from our good work in ticket sales, cooking, working, serving, etc. Sign up ahead of time for work shifts and things will function productively and smoothly during the dinner.