From 09-04-2011 Sunday Bulletin
Post date: Sep 2, 2011 4:47:00 AM
· TODAY – Thank you to Fr. Elias Khouri for serving the Divine Services this morning.
· V. Rev. Fr. Aurel & Pre. Lidia Sas and Fr. Ciprian’s family kindly thank everyone who has invited the parents over for dinner or lunch, but since it is practically impossible to answer all the invitations, we’ve decided to give two opportunities for anyone interested to meet with Father’s parents over special fellowships on Wednesday evening (Sept. 7) and Thursday lunch (Sept. 8) – details below. These arrangements have been done in an attempt to be as responsive as we possibly can to everyone and avoid potential hurt feelings from them/us having to choose who to visit and who to not visit due to time constraints. They thank you all for your love and invitations and look forward to meeting with and speaking to as many of you as possible. We need an estimated head count for Thursday’s lunch after the Divine Services, so please place your name on the RSVP sheet in the church hall or call 319-804-8501 and leave a message by Tuesday night.
· Tue, Sept. 6 – Fr. Ciprian’s Vacation Day with his parents out of town.
· Wed, Sep. 7 – 4:30pm Children’s Greek School --- There is a sign-up sheet posted in the Church Hall for those who are interested in continuing their Greek Language Education or just Beginning. The sign-up sheet will help us arrange the adult classes and teachers. Speak to Mary Harker for details.
· Wed, Sep. 7 – 6:00pm Great Vespers & Artoklasia for the Nativity of the Theotokos; Meet with Fr. Ciprian’s parents over Fellowship and Refreshments in the Church Hall about 6:45pm.
· Thu, Sep. 8 – Nativity of the Theotokos – 9:00am Orthros & 10:00am Divine Liturgy; &…
· Thu, Sep. 8 – AFTER Divine Liturgy – Special LUNCH with Fr. Ciprian’s Parents at the Biaggi’s Wine Room (about 12noon). RSVP on Sign-up Sheet or call 319-804-8501 (leave total head-count).
· Sat, Sep. 10 – 12noon - Seniors’ Event at Kirkwood Class Act Restaurant & Horse Show. You MUST RSVP with Edie Yerington ahead of time for the Lunch Reservation. Everyone else is invited to join the seniors at the FREE Horse Show about 2:00pm. Speak to Edie Y. for details.
· Sat, Sep. 10 – 4:30pm Sunday School Teacher Meeting
· Sat, Sep. 10 – 5:30 Great Vespers
· Sun, Sep. 11 – Beginning of the New Church School Year – 9:00am Orthros; 10:00am Divine Liturgy; Prayer for the beginning of the New Sunday School Year will be done at the time of the Children’s Sermon (immediately after the Gospel Reading); Fellowship (about 11:30pm)
· Sun, Sep. 11 – 4:00pm-6:00pm – Financial Peach Class with Dave Ramsey
· Tue, Sep. 13 – 5:30pm-6:30pm WEEKLY ORTHODOX-CHRISTIAN LESSONS – Each lesson for this educational ministry will be developed around themes from different Orthodox resources (Holy Scriptures, Liturgical life of the Church, Pastoral Practices, Orthodox Doctrine, etc.). This week’s lesson will come from the Liturgical Life of the Orthodox Church and focus on the celebration of the Elevation of the Cross. The last 30 minutes will entail participation in the Vespers for this Feast.
· Tue, Sep. 13 – 6:00pm Great Vespers for the Elevation of the Cross
· Tue, Sep. 13 – 6:30pm Philoptochos Meeting
· Wed, Sep. 14 – Elevation of the Holy Cross – 9:00am Orthros & 10:00am Divine Liturgy;
· Sat, Sep. 17 – 10:00am – APPLE PICKING – Our HOPE Group invites the entire parish family for some quality family fun. We will be leaving the church parking lot at 10:00am (arrive earlier please) and drive to Wilson's Apple Orchard, located at 2924 Orchard Lane Drive, Iowa City. Apple pastries available on site, but bring a brown bag lunch if you would like to stay, and join us for lunch. "Anyone can count the seeds in an apple, but only God can count the apples in a seed."
· CHURCH BEAUTIFICATION – The next/current stage of the Church Beautification project is to paint the Church Hall. This phase is scheduled to be completed by Sunday, Sept. 11th.