From 07-29-2012 Sunday Bulletin
Post date: Sep 7, 2012 7:02:15 PM
· OUTREACH – 50 IOCC SCHOOL KITS have been assembled, packaged, and shipped. Thank you to all who have donated for this cause and to our packaging team (especially the little ones who made this their Stewardship of Time & Talents summer project). If you signed up for a cash/check donation toward shipping cost, etc., but haven’t sent/given it yet, please do so today. Our MONTHLY FOOD DRIVE collections will be taken to Linn Area Community Food Bank this week – thank you.
· TODAY – There is no Hymnology Class today. Thank you to all teachers who helped this summer.
· TODAY – LAST DAY for Vacation Church School REGISTRATION (Mon-Fri, Aug. 6-10, 9am-11:30am) – The theme/title this year is “Bible Stories: True Mysteries, No Fairy Tales” and focus will be placed primarily on covering stories from both the Old Testament and the New Testament, with references to our Orthodox Faith. Activities will include storytelling, games, skits, crafts and even some singing. As usual, with the help of other dedicated individuals, we’ll be able to also make this a fun learning environment. If you are interested in facilitating activities, reading to the children, or helping with snacks and/or clean-up, please SIGN-UP and Presbytera Maggie will contact you. PLEASE NOTE: All Vacations Church Schoolers are expected to come and participate in the Transfiguration Services on Monday morning (Aug. 6) starting 9:00am.
· DORMITION FAST (Aug. 1-15) to be observed to everyone’s best abilities. Paraklesis services will be held every Mon/Wed/Fri at 5:30pm (Aug. 1,3,6,8,10,13). During these beautiful services we pray to the Theotokos for her intercessions. Everyone present at the service will hear their names be commemorated during the service along with names of other living persons that have been submitted to Fr. Ciprian. Please submit your names TODAY.
· Wed, Aug. 1 – 5:30pm-6:30pm Paraklesis Service
· Fri, Aug. 3 – 5:30pm-6:30pm Paraklesis Service
· Fri, Aug. 3 – MEN’s Movie/Dinner/Discussion/Fellowship – Immediately after the Paraklesis Service, all men are invited to stay for a Movie & Dinner in the Church Hall. The movie “Courageous” will undoubtedly generate excellent spiritually enriching discussion. As always, the byproduct of wonderful fellowship will be priceless. Come and see! Please let Fr. Ciprian know by phone, email, or text if you’ll be coming.
· Sat, Aug. 4 – 5:30pm Great Vespers
· Sun, Aug. 5 – 8:30am Orthros; 9:30am Divine Liturgy & Fellowship by NEED SPONSOR
· Fri-Sat, Aug. 17-18 – Pilgrimage to Venerate relics of St. Nektarios at St. John Chrysostomos Monastery and Visit to our Metropolis St. Iakovos Retreat Center. Our group will be leaving Friday morning and arrive at the Retreat Center where we will be meeting with His Grace and Retreat Center Director Tom Kanelos who will give us a tour of the facilities, which we will get to enjoy for the rest of the day (woods, pools, pond, animals, etc.), stay the night and then enjoy a beautiful morning there as we prepare for our visit to the monastery. After visit, lunch, and veneration of the relics at the monastery, we will return to Cedar Rapids. Those who want, may choose to drive/return through East Moline and join the Assumption Church for their Feastday celebrations. YOU MUST SIGN UP TODAY TO FINALIZE HEAD COUNT, SO ALL DETAILS CAN HOPEFULLY BE FINALIZED THIS WEEK.
· PROSFORO – Please let Fr. Ciprian know if you’d like to prepare some for the Divine Liturgy.
· ORTHODOX SUMMER CAMP – Camp St. George on the grounds of YMCA Camp Wapsie site (half hour away) takes place from Sunday, Aug. 12 to Saturday, Aug. 18. Due to a generous donation, we now have a fund that can supplement a significant portion of the registration cost for those who need it. There is a slight chance for late registration (depending on availability), but YOU MUST SPEAK TO FR. CIPRIAN TODAY if you want your child to participate.