From 07-22-2012 Sunday Bulletin
Post date: Sep 7, 2012 7:01:29 PM
· Kyriakos Korovilas fell asleep in the Lord on Wednesday, July 18, 2012. May his memory be eternal and his soul rest in peace among the saints. Visitations will take place at Murdock Funeral Home today from 4:00pm-7:00pm. The Trisagion Prayers will take place at 7:00pm. Fellowship over refreshments in Kulis memory will follow. The funeral service will be at 11:00am on Monday, July 23. After the Gravesite prayers, everyone is invited to the Makaria in memory of Kuli.
· Alex Ruggieri (Khouria Irene’s brother) fell asleep in the Lord yesterday. May his soul rest in peace among the saints and his memory be eternal.
· The IOCC SCHOOL KITS have been assembled and packaged. They will be shipped this week. Thank you to all for your generosity and to the our team that did the packaging yesterday. If you signed up for a cash/check donation toward shipping cost, etc., but haven’t sent/given it, please do so; the School Kits will be shipped this week.
· TODAY – After Holy Communion children will go downstairs for a Hymnology class.
· GREAT JOB to our team of warriors who completed the Warrior Dash race last Saturday. Thinking we do not have much time to fundraise before the event, we sort of thought that $500 would be a realistic goal for the team to raise in support of children’s fight against cancer. Well, we tripled that goal and surpassed it, and will likely soon surpass $2000. This was our team: FrCiprian, PreMaggie, Jessica, MaryKay, Tina, Evan, Nicole, Phil, Leasha, Rory, Elleni, SteveP – congratulate them please on a job well done for this great cause. AND thank you, of course, to all of you who were so supportive and responsive with you generous donations. The accompanying Spiritual Challenge will take place today from 2:30pm-3:30pm (the average time it took most of us to complete the race).
· TODAY – REGISTRATION for VACATION CHURCH SCHOOL (Mon-Fri, Aug. 6-10, 9am-11:30am) – The theme/title this year is “Bible Stories: True Mysteries, No Fairy Tales” and focus will be placed primarily on covering stories from both the Old Testament and the New Testament, with references to our Orthodox Faith. Activities will include storytelling, games, skits, crafts and even some singing. As usual, with the help of other dedicated individuals, we’ll be able to also make this a fun learning environment. If you are interested in facilitating activities, reading to the children, or helping with snacks and/or clean-up, please SIGN-UP and Presbytera Maggie will contact you. PLEASE NOTE: All Vacations Church Schoolers are expected to come and participate in the Transfiguration Services on Monday morning (Aug. 6) starting 9:00am.
· Mon, July 23 – 11:00am Funeral Services for Kyriakos Korovilas & Makaria
· Tue, July 24 – 6:30pm Parish Council Meeting
· Sat, July 28 – 5:30pm Great Vespers & Practice Singing the Paraklesis Service
· Sun, July 29 – 8:30am Orthros; 9:30am Divine Liturgy & Fellowship by Christina & Steve Miller
· Fri, Aug. 3 – MEN’s Movie/Dinner/Discussion/Fellowship – Immediately after the Paraklesis Service, all men are invited to stay for a Movie & Dinner in the Church Hall. The movie “Courageous” will undoubtedly generate excellent spiritually enriching discussion. As always, the byproduct of wonderful fellowship will be priceless. Come and see!
· Fri-Sat, Aug. 17-18 – Pilgrimage to Venerate relics of St. Nektarios at St. John Chrysostomos Monastery and Visit to our Metropolis St. Iakovos Retreat Center. Our group will be leaving Friday morning and arrive at the Retreat Center where we will be meeting with His Grace and Retreat Center Director Tom Kanelos who will give us a tour of the facilities, which we will get to enjoy for the rest of the day (woods, pools, pond, animals, etc.), stay the night and then enjoy a beautiful morning there as we prepare for our visit to the monastery. After visit, lunch, and veneration of the relics at the monastery, we will return to Cedar Rapids. Those who want, may choose to drive/return through East Moline and join the Assumption Church for their Feastday celebrations. More details (including overall cost) will be forthcoming, but PLEASE sign your name on the Pilgrimage/Retreat Sign-up Sheet as we need a head count for preparation/plans and cost estimates. The overall cost per person is expected to be surprisingly low due primarily to the fact that the stay at the Retreat Center will be only $20/person.