From 07-01-2012 Sunday Bulletin
Post date: Sep 7, 2012 6:58:55 PM
· TODAY – No Children’s Sermon due to the fact that Fr. Ciprian has to rush to the Airport immediately after the services. Depending on timing, the adults may not be as lucky as the kids today J
· TODAY – After Holy Communion Children will go downstairs for Hymnology class with Pr. Maggie
· TODAY – 6-month Memorial Service for Ted Dalamaggas. May his soul rest in peace among the saints.
· TODAY – SUNDAY SCHOOL – Promotion certificates are available on the bulletin board across from the church office for those students who missed the graduation ceremony. An attendance trophy will be presented by Father to Arianna Rieck. This presentation was overlooked at the ceremony last week. Arianna earned the runner up trophy in the Pre School class. Sorry for the oversight. Students/Parents please pick up Sunday School Book/Folders from your teacher or see Maria Katsiris.
· TODAY – CLERGY-LAITY CONGRESS – Fr. Ciprian is leaving for Phoenix, AZ today and will return on Friday, July 6th. If you need to get ahold of him, use the emergency number 804-8502. Just remember, he will be in meetings, workshops, services, etc. and may not be able to pick as you call, but will call you back as soon as he is available. You can also call Konstantine Katsiris.
· Sat., July 7, 4:15pm – HOPE invites all Families with Young Children to the Pan-Orthodox Liturgical Bonfire Event – We will once again, be educating our youngest parishioners on the importance of properly disposing of blessed items, such as blessed palm crosses, bay leaves, icon images, etc. We will be joined this year by youth and families from Saint George and Saint Raphael. Marie Svetek, a parishioner from St. George, will be graciously hosting the event this year, her address will be distributed to all those who RSVP with Elleni Huerter. If you have any blessed items to get rid of, please bring them to St. John's before July 7. The event starts at 4:15pm with fellowship among all present; at 5:00pm the Prayer & Burning of Blessed items will be followed by a potluck styled dinner. Please sign up for things you’d like to donate/bring to the dinner TODAY. (*No Vespers at Church this Saturday*)
· Sun, July 8 – 8:30am Orthros; 9:30am Divine Liturgy & Fellowship by Dessie & Jim Allans
· Tue, July 10, 6:00pm – LADIES’ MINI-GOLF & DINNER – All the Ladies of our Parish Family are invited to another fun evening of Mini Golf, dinner, and fellowship which will start at 6:00pm at the Airport National Public Golf and Range (3001 Wright Bros. Blvd., Cedar Rapids). The expense for mini golf will be about $6. Please sign up in the Church Hall or RSVP with Kay Escobedo so we have a head count for a potential restaurant reservation.
· Sat., July 14 – GREAT CAUSE – Support St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital – Our church has about 11 participants who entered the Warrior Dash race, a 5K obstacle course in Earlham, IA. As we conquer obstacles, leap fire, and crawl through the mud of Warrior Dash, the kids of St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital® are fighting for their lives due to cancer. If you are interested in helping children with cancer by donating to St. Jude Hospital, you can do so through (on behalf of) one of our Warrior Dash participants (FrCiprian, PreMaggie, Jessica, MaryKay, Evan, Nicole, Phil, Leasha, Rory, Elleni, SteveP), if they signed up as St. Jude Warriors as well. Some of us already have direct links for those who want to make secure online donations, but one can also make a donation with a check once your desired participant gives you the proper St. Jude Form. Also, spectators pay no registration cost so we are hopeful that we will have a pretty good supporting group join us for the drive to Earlham, IA and hopefully cheer us on. Keep checking our website for more details and direct links to see our team’s fundraising progress.
· Sun, July 15 – 5:00pm-8:00pm – Our SUNDAY SCHOOL OUTING this year will take place at Tucker Park in Hiawatha. We will meet at the Yellow Pavilion where we will also be grilling out hot dogs and burgers provided by the church from the Sunday School Fundraising. Thank you to Michelle and Pre. Maggie for planning out the Outdoor Fun and Games such as sack races, egg drop, soccer, mini relay races, water balloons, etc. There will also be opportunity for free play and/or the splash pad, for those who desire it. There is room for plenty of Fun – all we need is the Sun J Parents, please RSVP with Michelle or Presbytera and ask them how about how you could help (e.g.: side dish, chips, drinks, games, disposable plates&cutlery).
· CONGRATULATIONS to Robby Worley who graduated June 9th from the University of Denver with a degree in International Business and Spanish minor.
· IOCC School Kits – Sign-up TODAY; bring items by Sun, July 15; assembly & packaging Sat, July 21.
· VACATION CHURCH SCHOOL (Mon-Fri, Aug. 6-10, 9am-11:30am) – Registration July 15, 22, 29
· Fri-Sat, Aug. 17-18 – Pilgrimage to Venerate relics of St. Nektarios at St. John Chrysostomos Monastery and Visit to our Metropolis St. Iakovos Retreat Center. Overnight stay at the Retreat. Details forthcoming.