From 06-05-2011 Sunday Bulletin
Post date: Jun 6, 2011 1:13:07 PM
· TODAY – MEMORIAL SERVICE – Today is the 40-day memorial service for Edie’s uncle Alexander Costa and the 2-year memorial service for Nadina’s father Mihai Oancea. May their memory be eternal and their souls rest in peace among the saints.
· PHILOPTOCHOS had its elections and has elected most of its officers. The president position is still open. Another meeting will be held on Tue, June 14 at 6:30pm.
· SERVICE OUTREACH – This committee has organized 5 different service outreach opportunities. Please read the Service Outreach Opportunities flyer/print-out, then choose one or more of the ministries that appeals to you, and then speak to the corresponding contact person. We are excited to report an excellent response to the Green Square Meals ministry and look forward to your interest in some of the other ministries as well. We hope to finalize who is interested in what a.s.a.p. so as to initiate these ministries.
· IOCC DISASTER HEALTH KITS – Our church collected and sent $385.98 to IOCC for the Japan disaster relief efforts. With so many other disasters throughout the world and the United States as well, we’d like to prepare 50 Disaster Health Kits. Please sign your name by the items you’d like to donate, and be sure to bring them to church by the specified deadline (Sun, June 19). Speak to Dorothea Allans if you have any questions, or if you would like to help the Service Outreach Committee assemble these Kits after the June 19th deadline.
· Wednesdays, June 8 until July 27 at 5:30pm – CONVERSATIONAL GREEK for ALL AGES and levels. Continuing students will be using the same Conversational Book as last summer and the class will be taught by Mary Harker, who will start with a quick review of last summer’s content. Beginning (new) students will need to order the $20 book through Maria Katsiris, who will teach the beginners’ class starting with the alphabet. You may sign up in the church hall or just show up on Wednesday at 5:30pm.
· Sat, June 11 - SATURDAY OF SOULS - 8:30am Orthros; 9:30am Divine Liturgy; Memorial Service
· Sat, June 11 at 1:00pm-5:00pm – Jack Frank’s High School Graduation Party – Jack Frank invites the entire parish family to his home (2115 Timber Creek Drive, Marion, IA) to celebrate his graduation. Congratulations to him and also to our other graduates: Michael Khouri and Yobel Ande.
· SWORD #2 – Series of Workshops on Orthodox Relationship Development – MOVED TO SATURDAY, JUNE 25 (3:00pm-5:00pm) - TOPICS: Implementing the Jesus Prayer curriculum by Bishop Vujisic Tralles and using powerful passages from our Church Fathers and Mothers to quiet the turmoil of our hearts so as to allow for peaceful and merciful interactions with those around us. The leader of these workshops, Presbytera Maggie, asks that everyone interested use the Sign-Up List in the church hall. These workshops are open to all adults young and young-at-heart, married or not.
· Sat, June 11 – 5:30pm Great Vespers & Altar Boy Training
· Sun, June 12 - PENTECOST – 8:30am Orthros; 9:30am Divine Liturgy & KNEELING PRAYERS
· Sat, June 18 at 3:00pm-5:00pm – LONG-RANGE PLANNING COMMITTEE MEETING
· ORTHODOX SUMMER CAMP – www.campstgeorge.org – Aug 14-20 – Speak to Juliana or Frank for more details. Other camps are available if those dates don’t work for you.
· SPRING DINNER - Please turn in any money from Dinner ticket sales as well as any unsold tickets a.s.a.p. Speak to Regina Christodoulou or Dorothea Allans, if you are interested in buying Olives ($5.00 per pound) or Spanakopita ($17 per 1 tray of 48 pieces or $50 per 1 box of 3 trays)
· MESSENGER SUBMISSIONS – The deadline for submissions for the July-August newsletter is June 15th. Please send your submissions to email@example.com before the deadline if possible.
· ALTAR SERVERS & EPISTLE READERS – As of the next Newsletter issue, Fr. Ciprian will start scheduling the altar boys/servers and epistle readers ahead of time. You can still sign up on Sign-up Sheet in the church hall. Occasional training or meetings will be scheduled soon based on everyone’s convenience.
· June, July, August – 8:30am Orthros; 9:30am Divine Liturgy; 11:00am Fellowship