From 03-06-2011 Sunday Bulletin
Post date: Mar 15, 2011 8:22:50 PM
· TODAY – SUNDAY SCHOOL students will receive their coin boxes and begin their Annual Coin Drive for the Orthodox Christian Mission Center. We will jump start their Coin Box Drive TODAY by passing a special collection tray for the OCMC. Please make checks payable to St. John the Baptist Greek Orthodox Church, memo: Missions. Every week the children will bring back their coin box containing coins they collect throughout the week. We will keep track of the collections on a chart and hopefully surpass (this year again) our goal of $300. The last day to turn in the coin boxes will be on Palm Sunday, April 17th.
· TODAY - Sun, Mar. 6 - FORGIVENESS VESPERS at 6:00pm in Des Moines, IA – This service which marks the beginning of Great Lent will be served together with St. George in Des Moines, IA. His Grace Bishop Demetrios will preside over the service. Refreshments and fellowship will follow. Car pools will be decided today during fellowship.
· 2011 SATURDAYS OF SOULS – If you haven’t already done so, please use the provided form to give Fr. Ciprian the list names of departed faithful you’d like commemorated for the 2011 Memorial Services. Thank you to Regina Christodoulou, Angie Panagos, and Eleonora Rieck for making the Kolyva.
· APOKREATIKO GLENDI – If you have any pictures from this fun event, please submit them to firstname.lastname@example.org or bring Fr. Ciprian your camera and he’ll copy them to the church’s computer.
· LITURGICAL COVERS FOR ALTAR & OTHER – As you may already know, Philoptochos is fundraising for a new set of much needed Paschal White Liturgical Covers for Altar Table and other Liturgical Items. Please use the sign-up sheet in the church hall. Remember families can choose to donate partial costs of individual covers. Checks are to be made payable to “Philoptochos”.
· FLOWER DONATIONS 2011 – If you’d like to help beautify our services for the upcoming Great Lent period, please use the sign-up list available in the church hall.
· SERVICE OUTREACH COMMITTEE – This new committee will be responsible to formally organize events and opportunities for our parishioners to offer of our time and talents to serve the Cedar Rapids community and/or other surrounding areas. If interested, please contact Fr. Ciprian. First meeting is scheduled for this Tuesday at 5:30pm for 50 minutes. Let Fr. Ciprian know if you’ll be coming.
· GREAT AND HOLY LENT – begins today after the Forgiveness Vespers. Please observe it to the best of your ability and be sure to also increase your personal prayer, your participation in the many and beautiful church services, and your alms giving.
· Tue, Mar. 8 – 5:30pm Service Outreach Committee Meeting
· Tue, Mar. 8 – 6:30pm Philoptochos Meeting
· Wed, Mar. 9 – GREEK SCHOOL – 4:30pm-5:20pm Children’s Greek School
· Wed, Mar. 9 – 5:30pm PreSanctified Liturgy; 6:45pm Lenten Meal; 7:15pm Religious Education
· WEDNESDAY EVENINGS RELIGIOUS EDUCATION – Frank Dancer will be leading the first half hour of our Religious Education Class. Fr. Ciprian will lead the last half of the religious education. Looking forward to seeing you all there.
· Thu, Mar. 10 – 6:00pm Adult Greek School
· Fri, Mar. 11 – 5:30pm 1st Salutations Service
· Sat, Mar. 12 – Saturday of Souls – 9am Orthros; 10:00am Divine Liturgy; 11am Memorial Service.
· Sat, Mar. 12 – 5:30pm Great Vespers
· Sun, Mar. 13 – Sunday of Orthodoxy - 9:00am Orthros; 10:00am Divine Liturgy; 11:30am Fellowship by Paxton family. Our children will participate in the PROCESSION WITH THE HOLY ICONS at the Divine Liturgy – Parents, please don’t forget to bring icons for your children from home and come to church in time (before the children’s sermon).
· Sun, Mar. 13 – 5:30pm PAN-ORTHODOX SOLEMN VESPERS in Iowa City will include another Procession with the Holy Icons. See full schedule available in the Narthex.
· The “Movin’ for McAuley Mall Walk” takes place at Westdale Mall on the morning of Sat, March 12th. Speak to Carrol Chipokas for more details.