From 02-13-2011 Sunday Bulletin
Post date: Feb 20, 2011 2:42:25 AM
· TODAY – Sunday of the Publican and the Pharisee - PHILOPTOCHOS VALENTINE LUNCHEON follows right after the Divine Liturgy, so please join us. Also, TRIODION BEGINS TODAY, which means that this coming week is completely fast-free even on Wednesday and Friday. Eat up but start mentally preparing yourself for the Great and Holy Lent, which is almost upon us.
· TODAY – FELLOWSHIP FOR 2011 – Last chance to pick your preferred Sunday for sponsoring fellowship is today. The remaining Sundays will have to be assigned in the next couple of days.
· TODAY - STEWARDSHIP – If you haven’t already filled out a Stewardship Commitment Card for 2011, please do so a.s.a.p. We are well into February now, and a list of pledged stewards for 2011 will be published in this coming Messenger issue.
· THE MESSENGER – If you haven’t done so already, all ministry leaders need to finalize March and April events with Father Ciprian and then submit your details to email@example.com no later than Feb 15th. We’re also hoping to include a couple Lenten Recipes, so please email one or two you’d like to share.
· Tue, Feb. 15 – 6:00pm Parish Council Meeting
· Wed, Feb. 16 at noon – Seniors’ Hotel Kirkwood Event – Our group will have lunch at the Class Act Restaurant and then receive a tour of the Hotel. Remember there’s no fasting this Wednesday. Speak to Edie Yerington for more details and RSVP with her during fellowship TODAY so she has a head count for the lunch reservation.
· Wed, Feb. 9 – GREEK SCHOOL – 4:30pm Beginners; 5:30pm Conversational; & 6:15pm Adults
· Sat, Feb. 12 – 5:30pm Great Vespers
· Sun, Feb. 13 – Prodigal Son - 9:00am Orthros; 10:00am Divine Liturgy; 11:30am Fellowship by Alina Warner & Ana-Maria Buda
· Sat, February 26 is the first SATURDAY OF SOULS – 9am Orthros; 10:00am Divine Liturgy; 11:15am Memorial Service. Please let Fr. Ciprian know if you’d like to make Kolyva for either of the Saturday of Souls memorial services.
· HOPE PRE-LENTEN RETREAT has been moved from Sat, Feb. 26 to Saturday, March 5.
· Sat, Feb. 26 – 5:30pm Great Vespers
· Sat, Feb. 26 at 6:30pm-11:00pm – APOKREATIKO GLENDI – Tickets for this night of dinner, dancing and camaraderie are sold out – sorry to all that would have liked to come but now can’t due to our limited space. We anticipate a wonderful evening with hopefully lots of pictures to share. If you have any questions, please speak to Elleni Huerter, Maria Katsiris, Kay Escobedo or Fr. Ciprian.
· Sun, Feb 27 2:30pm-4:30pm - JOY/GOYA Event at the University of Iowa Museum of Art (125 North Madison St., Iowa City) – The JOY and GOYA groups will join forces to explore UIMA's beautiful museum within the Iowa Memorial Union. Join us for an afternoon of fellowship and fun!
· HOME BLESSINGS – Call (or email) Fr. Ciprian to schedule the blessing of your home or business. Calling him on the church number is preferred, so that he can easily place you in his schedule.
· FORGIVENESS VESPERS – March 6th at 6:00pm in Des Moines, IA – This service which marks the beginning of Great Lent will be served together with St. George in Des Moines, IA. His Grace Bishop Demetrios will preside over the service – refreshments and fellowship will follow.
· PAN-ORTHODOX SOLEMN VESPERS – March 13 to April 10 - These Sunday Evening services during Great Lent will now also include the Waterloo and Dubuque parishes. Please grab a copy of the Schedule for these services to take home.