From 01-23-2011 Sunday Bulletin
Post date: Jan 26, 2011 12:06:58 PM
· TODAY – SANCTITY OF LIFE SUNDAY – is celebrated by the Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Chicago and the Orthodox Church in America annually on the Sunday nearest January 22nd which is the anniversary of the “Roe-vs-Wade” decision of the Supreme Court that legalized abortion upon demand. The teachings of the Orthodox Church clearly condemns all actions that threaten the sanctity and integrity of all human life. This is why Orthodox Christians for Life Chicago has pastorally witnessed against abortion, euthanasia, and capital punishment; and has also been at the forefront in encouraging a Christ-centered pastoral outreach to all individuals affected by these actions. This organizations long-standing dream is to one day establish a Maternity Home for un-wed mothers. A third-annual Pan-Orthodox Prayer Service and Presentation will be held in Chicago next Sunday (see flyer). A special prayer will be offered in our church today at the end of the Divine Liturgy.
· TODAY – FELLOWSHIP FOR 2011 – We’d like to have all or most of the spots filled by you with your preferred Sunday. Assigning Sundays should be the last resort, please use the SIGN-UP LIST.
· TODAY – WALL CALENDARS FOR 2011 are available in the Narthex. Feel free to grab one and donate your old one for a Sunday School Project.
· STEWARDSHIP – The year-end donations reports for 2010 will be handed out next Sunday (January 30). If you haven’t already filled out the 2011 Stewardship Commitment Card for 2011, please do so a.s.a.p. A list of pledged stewards for 2011 will be published in the next Messenger.
· DONATIONS ENVELOPE BOXES for those who like to use are available in the Narthex.
· Mon, Jan 24 @ noon-2:30pm – SENIORS’ LUNCH & WHITE ELEPHANT GIFT EXCHANGE - We will meet for lunch at Tatiana’s Kitchen (currently still called Coffee Emporium located at 1725 Boyson Rd. in Hiawatha) at noon for some authentic Eastern European/Russian food. After lunch, we will exchange the White Elephant gifts at Fr. Ciprian’s home who lives very close to the restaurant. Today at Fellowship is the last day to let Edie or Father know if you’ll be coming.
· Wed, Jan 26 – GREEK SCHOOL – 4:30pm Beginners’; 5:30pm Conversational; & 6:15pm Adults
· Sat, Jan 29 – 5:30pm Great Vespers & Altar Boy Training
· Sun, Jan 30 – 9:00am Orthros; 10:00am Divine Liturgy; 11:30am Fellowship (Prez & Fr. Sas)
· Sun, Jan 30 Morning Worship – Fr. Ciprian is presenting (tonight) to a Confirmation Class from Lovely Lane United Methodist Church about Orthodoxy’s deep roots in Early Christianity and some of our doctrines and liturgical practice so as to introduce and prepare them for attending our ancient Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom. The whole class (about 30 people) will join us for worship at 9:45am next Sunday (Jan 30) – ideally J, they will see none of us walk in late for our own worship, please do your very best to be on time.
· HOME BLESSINGS – Call (or email) Fr. Ciprian to schedule the blessing of your home or business. Calling him on the church number is preferred, so that he can easily place you in his schedule.
· APOKREATIKO GLENDI – Sat., February 26 at 6:30pm-11:00pm – Join the faithful for a night of Dinner, Dancing and Camaraderie. Tickets are $25 ($15 for children 10 & under) and available for purchase starting TODAY and through February 13. This glorious and not-to-be-missed fun cultural event, however, will have LIMITED SEATING, so purchase your tickets a.s.a.p. For more details, read the flier or speak to Elleni Huerter, Maria Katsiris, Kay Escobedo or Fr. Ciprian.
· St. Raphael’s Annual Evening in the East Fundraiser on Sat., February 5, 5:30PM-8:30PM – Tickets are $40/adult ($20/students) – Program includes guest speaker Fr. Moses Berry presenting Linking Ancient African Christianity to the African American Experience, Byzantine Chant performed by the St. Raphael Choir featuring guest singer Richard Barrett, Buffet Dinner featuring cuisine from Russia, Greece, Georgia, Romania, the Middle East, and a Silent Auction with items from around the world. See flyer for more details or speak to Fr. Ciprian.
· Congratulations to our new Parish Council Officers and Members – Parish Council President – Michael Christodoulou; Vice-President – Konstantine Katsiris; Treasurer – Nicole Wright; Secretary – Lance Okones; Members: Frank Dancer, Chris Paxton, Nick Paxton.