From 01-22-2012 Sunday Bulletin
Post date: Jan 25, 2012 4:41:35 PM
· TODAY – SANCTITY OF LIFE SUNDAY is celebrated by the Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Chicago and the Orthodox Church in America annually on the Sunday nearest January 22nd which is the anniversary of the “Roe-vs-Wade” decision of the Supreme Court that legalized abortion upon demand. The teachings of the Orthodox Church clearly condemns all actions that threaten the sanctity and integrity of all human life. This is why Orthodox Christians for Life Chicago has pastorally witnessed against abortion, euthanasia, and capital punishment; and has also been at the forefront in encouraging a Christ-centered pastoral outreach to all individuals affected by these actions. This organization’s long-standing dream to establish a Maternity Home for un-wed mothers is now becoming a reality. A special prayer will be offered in our church today at the end of the Divine Liturgy. A special collection basket will also be passed.
· TODAY – ST. JOHN’S FOOD DRIVE – This month’s food collection will be taken to Linn Community Food Bank by this Wednesday.
· Mon, Jan. 23 – Fr. Ciprian visitations/communion in (nursing) homes of parishioners
· Tue, Jan. 24 – 5:30pm-6:30pm Adult Religious Education
· Tue, Jan. 24 – 6:30pm-8:30pm Parish Council Meeting
· Wed, Jan. 25 – 4:30pm Children’s Greek School & 6:00pm Adult Greek School
· Sat, Jan. 28 – 5:30pm Great Vespers
· Sun, Jan. 29 – Canaanite Woman – 9:00am Orthros; 10:00am Divine Liturgy; 11:30am Memorial Service for Tom Karras; 11:45am Fellowship
· Mon, Jan. 30 – Three Hierarchs – 9:00am Orthros & 10:00am Divine Liturgy
· HOME BLESSINGS – Please call the office to schedule your home blessing with Father.
· NEW SERVICE OUTREACH OPPORTUNITY – We are looking for volunteers to donate the needed food items, and/or help cook, and/or help serve a meal to the residents of the Ronald McDonald house in Iowa City on Wednesday, February 8th – thank you to Michelle Bayouth for allowing us to use her kitchen. We will be serving Taco Soup and the trimmings, a lettuce salad, and dessert. There is a list of needed items posted in the fellowship hall. If you have questions feel free to contact Regina Christodoulou or Edie Yerington.
· HOMETOWN CARE ENERGY FUND – Following Alliant’s 30,000 Disconnection Notices in December 2011 and KCRG’s article (Jan. 18) about so many homes potentially losing power/heating during these cold winter months, the IOCCA Clergy has decided that all proceeds from the “Catering Clergy Raffle – Served by Servants” will go to the Hometown Care Energy Fund. 100% of all donations (all administrative costs absorbed by Alliant Energy) is distributed to needy families residing in the same county within 30 days of receiving the donation. If you would like to support this cause it is still not too late to buy raffle tickets. Ticket prices are: $35/one, $60/two, $25/each for 4 or more tickets. Remember the prize is a meal for up to 8 adults of your choice. Speak to Fr. Ciprian.