From 01-16-2011 Sunday Bulletin
Post date: Jan 26, 2011 12:05:29 PM
· TODAY – SUNDAY SCHOOL – Classes resume today. Talk to Maria Katsiris if you’d like to donate your old Wall Calendar for Sunday School Project.
· TODAY – SHARE THE LIGHT SUNDAY - has been designated by our SCOBA hierarchs as a national event to support the growth of Orthodox modern media outreach (Internet, podcasts, radio, DVDs, television and more). The Orthodox Christian Network (OCN), a pan-Orthodox media ministry that is also one of the official agencies of SCOBA, uses the power of the radio and the Internet to share the timeless faith of Orthodoxy with mainstream America. A special collection tray will be passed after the Divine Liturgy. Your donation to support this ministry should be marked “Share the Light” and made payable to St. John’s (if paying by check). The total donations will be forwarded as one lump sum donation from our parish family.
· TODAY – @ 1:30pm-4:00pm – All Youth Sledding Event for HOPE, JOY, GOYA – All youth groups are invited to enjoy an afternoon of sledding at Chatham Park by Bowman Woods Elementary School on Boyson Rd. NE. Pizza will be served at 1:30pm sharp and hot chocolate will be provided after the sledding. Parents, please be sure to let Michelle know (DURING FELLOWSHIP) if you and your children will be coming so we have an accurate head-count for the pizza ordering. If the hill does not have sufficient snow (etc.) we will likely take refuge and watch a movie at a near-by theater.
· TODAY – FELLOWSHIP FOR 2011 – We’d like to have all or most of the spots filled by you with your preferred Sunday. Assigning Sundays should be the last resort, please use the SIGN-UP LIST.
· TODAY – POINSETTIA DONATIONS – If you’d like to donate toward the cost of the beautiful Poinsettias that helped beautify our church for Christmas and Theophany, please sign your name on the Sign-Up List and give Michael Christodoulou your check.
· TODAY – WALL CALENDARS FOR 2011 are available in the Narthex. Feel free to grab one and donate your old one for a Sunday School Project.
· DONATIONS ENVELOPE BOXES for those who like to use are available in the Narthex.
· STEWARDSHIP – Please fulfill your stewardship pledge for 2010 a.s.a.p. and, if you haven’t already done so, fill out the new and shortened Stewardship Commitment Card for 2011.
· Wed, Jan 19 – GREEK SCHOOL – 4:30pm Beginners’ Greek Class; 5:30pm Conversational Greek Class; & 6:00pm Adult Greek Class
· Wed, Jan 19 – 6:30pm Parish Council Meeting
· Sat, Jan 22 @ 11:00am-1:00pm – HOPE FAMILY FUN DAY AT MUSEUM – The HOPE group will meet in the church parking lot at 11:00a.m. Then we will drive to the Cedar Rapids Museum of Art where we will enjoy the afternoon of activities. Admission is free. We will talk about our experiences over lunch. Children must be accompanied by at least one adult, though we would love for your whole family to join us. If you have any questions, please call Elleni Huerter.
· Sat, Jan 22 – 5:30pm Great Vespers & Altar Boy Training
· Sun, Jan 23 – 9:00am Orthros; 10:00am Divine Liturgy; 11:30am Fellowship (Canas C. & M.)
· Mon, Jan 24 @ noon-2:30pm – SENIORS’ LUNCH & WHITE ELEPHANT GIFT EXCHANGE - We will meet for lunch at Tatiana’s Kitchen (currently still called Coffee Emporium located at 1725 Boyson Rd. in Hiawatha) at noon for some authentic Eastern European food. After lunch, we will exchange the White Elephant gifts either at the restaurant or at Fr. Ciprian’s home who lives very close to the restaurant. We need an accurate head-count for the restaurant reservation, so please let Edie if you’ll be coming.
· HOME BLESSINGS – Call (or email) Fr. Ciprian to schedule the blessing of your home or business. Calling him on the church number is preferred, so that he can easily place you in his schedule.
· PROSFORO – We need prosforo for the Divine Liturgy. Speak to Fr. Ciprian during Fellowship.