From 01-15-2012 Sunday Bulletin
Post date: Jan 16, 2012 2:43:35 PM
· FEAST DAY CELEBRATIONS – Thank you to all who helped with the preparation and cleanup for these great festivities. It was repeated success and His Grace enjoyed being in our presence.
· YOUTH STEWARDSHIP – Our Youth Stewardship Kick-off event took place yesterday. Parents please make note of a slight procedural change – starting today, our youth will have the opportunity to place a weekly stewardship donation of their own in a Youth Stewardship Collection Basket during the Divine Liturgy as they come up for the Children’s Sermon. Their time and talents will also be encouraged, organized, and nicely documented throughout the year. We’re setting ourselves up with a generation of good, committed stewards - ‘Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it.” Proverbs 22:6. Parent Handouts & Pledge Forms are found in the Narthex.
· TODAY – SUNDAY SCHOOL resumes today after Holy Communion. Welcome Back.
· TODAY – SHARE THE LIGHT SUNDAY is a national event to support the growth of Orthodox modern media outreach (Internet, podcasts, radio, DVDs, television and more). The Orthodox Christian Network (OCN), a pan-Orthodox media ministry uses the power of the Internet and radio to share the timeless faith of Orthodoxy with mainstream America. A special collection tray will be passed after the Divine Liturgy. Your donation to support this ministry should be marked “Share the Light” and made payable to St. John’s (if paying by check). The total donations will be forwarded as one lump sum donation from our parish family.
· TODAY – 1:30pm-4:00pm ALL YOUTH SLEDDING EVENT (HOPE, JOY, GOYA) – We wanted snow and it is now here. We will meet at Chatham Park by Bowman Woods Elementary School on Boyson Rd. NE. Fun will last from 1:30pm to 4:00pm when hot chocolate will be served.
· Seda Markosyan fell asleep in the Lord Tue, Jan. 10th. May her memory be eternal and her soul rest in peace among the saints. Her Trisagion will be today at 4:30pm and her burial service at Murdoch-Linnwood Funeral Home tomorrow, Mon, Jan. 16 at 10:00am.
· Mon, Jan. 16 – 10:00am Seda Markosyan burial service at Murdoch-Linwood Funeral Home.
· Mon, Jan. 16 – 1:00pm SENIORS’ EVENT – Our seniors and the seniors from St. George will enjoy a musical program by Rob Nassif in the fellowship hall of St. John’s Church. Mr. Nassif is an instructor of music and has composed several Broadway shows. Fellowship over desserts will follow the program. Please let Edie know that you’ll be coming; it’s especially important to have a good turn out since we’re expecting visitors too (St. George’s seniors).
· Mon, Jan. 16 – 6:00pm THE ANNUAL PHILOPTOCHOS CHRISTMAS PARTY will be at the Vernon Inn (6:00pm Cocktails & 6:30pm Dinner). Philoptochos members, prospective members and significant others are invited, but RSVP with Kay Escobedo TODAY. Fun, fun day; we hope all seniors will make it both events.
· Tue, Jan. 17 – 5:30pm-6:30pm Religious Education
· Tue, Jan. 17 – 6:30pm-8:00pm Parish Council Meeting
· Wed, Jan. 18 – 1:30pm-3:00pm NURSING HOME VISITATIONS at Living Center West. All are Welcome. Contact Elleni Huerter for details.
· Wed, Jan. 11 – 4:30pm Children’s Greek School & 6:00pm Adult Greek School
· At Our Metropolis Chapel of St. Anthony in Chicago – Mon, Jan. 16, 7:00pm Vespers and Fellowship & Tue, Jan. 17, 9:00am Orthros & Divine Liturgy for St. Anthony, the patron saint of our Metropolis Chapel. Our parish family is invited and our Metropolis hopes some of us will make it.
· ST. JOHN’S FOOD DRIVE – Next Sunday (Jan. 22) is our deadline for assembling this month’s collection and take them to Linn Community Food Bank. Please grab a handout with desired food items from the Narthex if you’d like to buy/donate food items toward the Food Drive next Sunday.
· HOME BLESSINGS – Please call the office to schedule your home blessing with Father.