From 01-09-2011 Sunday Bulletin
Post date: Jan 26, 2011 12:04:19 PM
· HIERARCHAL VISIT – A warm welcome to His Grace Bishop Demetrios who is with us this weekend for our Church’s Feast Day celebrations. The Outdoor Blessing of Cedar River downtown yesterday was wonderful; we had a good turn-out and Channel 9 media coverage, in spite of the cold weather. Our church was also blessed with an almost full church for the Pan-Orthodox Vespers service. Thank you to Eleonora Rieck for preparing the Artoklasia, to Alex Hadjis for preparing the food we enjoyed for dinner, to the Philoptocos ladies for the wonderful desserts, and to the Parish Council members for planning and the dinner event, and of course to anyone else who helped.
· TODAY – There are no Sunday School classes today due to the Feast Day Luncheon and so that our students can be present for the whole Hierarchal Divine Liturgy and hear His Grace Bishop Demetrios speak. Classes will resume next Sunday, January 16th.
· TODAY – Immediately after the Divine Liturgy, everyone is invited downstairs for our Church’s Feast Day Luncheon and the Cutting of the Vasilopita in the Church Hall. We hope everyone will fit and apologize ahead of time if that will not be the case. Thank you to Alex Hadjis for preparing the food, to Tula Margellos and Eleonora Rieck for preparing the Vasilopitas, to the Parish Council for organizing this luncheon and to all servers, cleaners, etc. All donations collected during Cutting of the Vasilopita will become our Philoptochs’ ladies contributions to St. Michael’s Home.
· TODAY – FELLOWSHIP FOR 2011 – We’d like to have all or most of the spots filled by you with your preferred Sunday. Assigning Sundays should be the last resort, please use the SIGN-UP LIST.
· TODAY – POINSETTIA DONATIONS – If you’d like to donate toward the cost of the the beautiful Poinsettias that helped beautify our church for Christmas and Theophany, please sign your name on the Sign-Up List and give Michael Christodoulou your check.
· TODAY – WALL CALENDARS FOR 2011 are available in the Narthex. Feel free to grab one.
· DONATIONS ENVELOPE BOXES for those who like to use are available in the Narthex.
· STEWARDSHIP – Please fulfill your stewardship pledge for 2010 a.s.a.p. and, if you haven’t already done so, fill out the new and shortened Stewardship Commitment Card for 2011.
· Tue, Jan 11 – THE ANNUAL PHILOPTOCHOS CHRISTMAS PARTY – is scheduled for Tue, Jan 11 at The Outback Steak House (6:00pm Cocktails & 6:30pm Dinner). Philoptochos members, prospective members and significant others are all invited but please RSVP with Helen McDonald.
· Wed, Jan 12 – GREEK SCHOOL – 4:30pm Beginners’ Greek Class; 5:30pm Conversational Greek Class; & 6:15pm Adult Greek Class
· Sat, Jan 15 – 5:30pm Great Vespers & Altar Boy Training
· Sun, Jan 16 – 9:00am Orthros; 10:00am Divine Liturgy; 11:30am Fellowship (need sponsor)
· Sun, Jan 16 @ 1:30pm-4:00pm – All Youth Sledding Event for HOPE, JOY, GOYA – All youth groups are invited to enjoy an afternoon of sledding at Chatham Park by Bowman Woods Elementary School on Boyson Rd. NE. Pizza will be served at 1:30pm sharp and hot chocolate will be provided after the sledding. Parents must accompany young children. Bring your sleds and don’t hurt the priest, as was almost the case last year J. If the weather is too unbearable we will take refuge and watch a movie in the Church Hall: “The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader”.
· OTHER UPCOMING EVENTS – HOPE Family Fun Day at Museum (Sat, Jan 22 at 11:00am-1:30pm); Seniors’ Lunch & White Elephant Gift Exchange (Mon, Jan 24 at noon-2:30pm).
· Ken’s brother, Robert Yerington, fell asleep in the Lord yesterday. Though he was not Orthodox and his burial arrangements are not what we are accustomed to, you are welcome to join Ken & Edie for support this Tuesday morning. Call Ken & Edie for details about time and place. Memory eternal!
· HOME BLESSINGS – Call (or email) Fr. Ciprian to schedule the blessing of your home or business. Calling him on the church number is preferred, so that he can easily place you in his schedule.