· SUNDAY SCHOOL – Registration for the 2010-2011 Sunday School year continues today. The first day of Sunday School will be September 12, 2010, BUT please see Maria Katsiris to register your children a.s.a.p. so that supplies can be ordered in a timely manner. There is a Sunday School Teacher next Sunday, August 22. Let Maria Katsiris if you can’t make it.
· NEW ALTAR CLOTHS – Thank you to Philoptochos for spear-heading the project of purchasing new covers for the altar and other liturgical items. They have arrived and were blessed on the Feast of Transfiguration (Aug. 6). We will be using them starting tomorrow.
· THE MESSENGER – Thank you to all of you sent your submissions on time. There are only a couple/few missing; you know who you are, please sent it today.
· Sun, Aug 15 – DORMITION OF THE THEOTOKOS - SUMMER HOURS - Orthros at 8:00am; Divine Liturgy at 9:00am; Fellowship at about 10:30am (Elleni & Rory Huerter)
· Tue, Aug 17 – 5:30pm-6:30pm Life Lessons from Gospel Readings Class
· Fri, Aug 20-Mon, Aug 23 – Fr. Ciprian on Vacation; No Vespers; Sunday Services by Fr. Elias. Fr. Ciprian will be out of the country; for emergencies call Konstantine Katsiris.
· Saturday, Aug 21 – No Great Vespers at St. John; St. George Vespers at 5:00pm
· Sun, Aug 22 – SUMMER HOURS - Orthros at 8:00am; Divine Liturgy at 9:00am and Memorial Service for Dean Chipokas and John Tzortzoudakis; Fellowship at about 10:45am (Carrol Chipokas).
· Sun, Aug 22 – Sunday School Teacher meeting during/after Fellowship
· Tue, Aug 24 – Fr. Ciprian is back from vacation; Cedar Rapids public school year begins.
· Sat, Aug 28 – 5:30pm Great Vespers
· Sun, Aug 29 - SUMMER HOURS - Orthros at 8:00am; Divine Liturgy at 9:00am; Memorial Service for Founders and Picnic at Bever Park in the Red Oak Pavilion.
· Sunday, Aug 29 – FOUNDERS’ DAY - MEMORIAL SERVICE & PICNIC – As usual, the main course is provided by the Parish Council. Thank you to Kay Escobedo who will be doing most of the work since it so happens many of our parish council members are out of town that Sunday; if anyone wishes to help with the preparations, speak to Kay. The main course will be a Lenten Dish because The Beheading of St. John the Baptist (Aug. 29) is a strict fast day. For the same reason, we ask that this year everyone bring desserts and snacks (to share) that are Lenten as well. As usual, don’t forget your own drinks and place settings.
· Sat, Sept 4 – HOPE/JOY APPLE PICKING – “Anyone can count the seeds in a apple, but only God can count the apples in a seed”. Children and accompanying parents will meet at church at 9:00am to drive together to Wilsons Apple Orchard located at 2924 Orchard LN, Iowa City, IA 319-354-5651. Call Elleni Huerter for details or to let her know if you’re coming.
· FALL GREEK DINNER – October 10, 2010 – Tickets will be distributed by Dorothea Allans and Michael Christodoulou today. The sign-up sheet for volunteer work shifts is also posted in the church hall. Please sign up for the shifts you’d like to work and do the best you can for ticket sales. We’ll be happy to give you more tickets when/if you are done selling the ones initially issued :)