· TODAY – After Holy Communion children will go downstairs for a Hymnology class.
· GREAT JOB to our team of warriors who completed the Warrior Dash race yesterday. Thinking we do not have much time to fundraise before the event, we sort of thought that $500 would be a realistic goal for the team to raise in support of children’s fight against cancer. Well, we tripled that goal and surpassed it, and will likely soon surpass $2000. This was our team: FrCiprian, PreMaggie, Jessica, MaryKay, Tina, Evan, Nicole, Phil, Leasha, Rory, Elleni, SteveP – congratulate them please on a job well done for this great cause. AND thank you, of course, to all of you who were so supportive and responsive with you generous donations. We will share some pictures from this event during fellowship today.
· TODAY – SUNDAY SCHOOL OUTING this year is at Tucker Park in Hiawatha from 5:00pm-8:00pm (drive North on Center Point Rd. and, after Blairs Ferry Rd, take 1st Right onto E.Williams Street). We will meet at the Yellow Pavilion where we will also be grilling out hot dogs and burgers. Outdoor Fun and Games will include sack races, egg drop, soccer, mini relay races, splash pad, and free play. There is room for plenty of Fun – all we need is the Sun J We have NO RSVPs YET, SO please let Michelle Bayouth know DURING FELLOWSHIP if you and children will be coming.
· TODAY – IOCC SCHOOL KITS – All items and cash/check donations should be turned in during Fellowship. If there are any more items that need to be brought, arrangements should be made with Elleni Huerter for drop off during the week. Our Service Outreach Committee will assemble and pack these kits on Saturday, July 21 at 4:00pm. Our own students/children are invited to come and help with this task as part of their Youth Service Ministry Summer Project.
· TODAY – REGISTRATION for VACATION CHURCH SCHOOL (Mon-Fri, Aug. 6-10, 9am-11:30am) – The theme/title this year is “Bible Stories: True Mysteries, No Fairy Tales” and focus will be placed primarily on covering stories from both the Old Testament and the New Testament, with references to our Orthodox Faith. Activities will include storytelling, games, skits, crafts and even some singing. As usual, with the help of other dedicated individuals, we’ll be able to also make this a fun learning environment. If you are interested in facilitating activities, reading to the children, or helping with snacks and/or clean-up, please SIGN-UP and Presbytera Maggie will contact you.
· Fri-Sat, Aug. 17-18 – Pilgrimage to Venerate relics of St. Nektarios at St. John Chrysostomos Monastery and Visit to our Metropolis St. Iakovos Retreat Center. Our group will be leaving Friday morning and arrive at the Retreat Center where we will be meeting with His Grace and Retreat Center Director Tom Kanelos who will give us a tour of the facilities, which we will get to enjoy for the rest of the day (woods, pools, pond, animals, etc.), stay the night and then enjoy a beautiful morning there as we prepare for our visit to the monastery. After visit, lunch, and veneration of the relics at the monastery, we will return to Cedar Rapids. Those who want, may choose to drive/return through East Moline and join the Assumption Church for their Feastday celebrations. More details (including overall cost) will be forthcoming, but PLEASE sign your name on the Pilgrimage/Retreat Sign-up Sheet as we need a head count for preparation/plans and cost estimates. The overall cost per person is expected to be surprisingly low due primarily to the fact that the stay at the Retreat Center will be only $20/person.
· Fr. Ciprian is taking Vacation Days Mon-Wed, Jul. 16-18. Contact Konstantine K. while Fr’s away.
· Thu, July 19 – 6:00pm Pan-Orthodox Vespers at St. Elias Church in Dubuque, IA
· Fri, July 20 – 8:30pm Orthros & 9:30am Divine Liturgy for St. Elias the Prophet
· Sat, July 21 – 4:00pm IOCC School Kits Assembly & Packaging
· Sun, July 22 – 8:30am Orthros; 9:30am Divine Liturgy & Fellowship by Maria & Paul Canas
· Jeanne Tzotzourdakis (wife of Tony Tzortzoudakis) fell asleep in the Lord - Memory Eternal. If anyone wants to send a card to Tony, the address is 1408 Crestwood Dr., Aurora, IL 60506.