· Congratulations to Thano Karaboitis and Jessica Mason for the birth of their baby Calix Samual Karaboitis was born on Tue, February 21st.
· TODAY – Ananfd (Emanuel) who was baptized Orthodox last Sunday will receive Communion first.
· TODAY – Memorial Service for Androulla Varanou (1-year) and Andreas Stavrou (2-year), Christodoulou’s Godmother and uncle. May their souls rest in peace among the saints and their memory be eternal.
· TODAY – MOVING FOR McAULEY (Sat, Mar. 10) is an annual mall walk to raise funds for the Catherine McAuley Center. Our church is involved with its adult education program through our Service Outreach and if you’d like to participate in this walk speak to Carrol Chipokas TODAY about registration since tomorrow is the deadline to register and receive a T-shirt as well.
· TODAY – 4:30pm GOYA Event at Church. All teenagers of our parish are strongly encouraged to come to this educational hour with Fr. Ciprian and then stay for the Forgiveness Vespers (5:30pm).
· TODAY – 5:30pm FORGIVENESS VESPERS which mark the beginning of Great Lent.
· Mon, Feb. 27 – GREAT LENT begins with its strict Orthodox fasting guidelines.
· Mon, Feb. 27 – Fr. Ciprian doing parishioner visitations in homes and nursing homes.
· NO TUESDAY EVENING CLASSES until after Bright Week. Everyone is strongly encouraged to attend as many of the Lenten Services as you can and make an extra strong effort to book your Wednesday evenings for your spiritual growth at church for the next few weeks.
· Wed, Feb. 29 – 1:30pm-3:00pm Nursing Home Visitations to Living Center West. Contact Elleni.
· Wed, Feb. 29 – 4:30pm Children’s Greek School NOTE: Adult Greek School is moving to another day during the Great Lent Period so that it doesn’t conflict with the Presanctified Liturgies.
· Wed, Feb. 29 – 5:30pm PreSanctified Liturgy, 6:45pm Lenten Meal by Angie Panagos & Olga Flaming, 7:30pm-8:30pm Orthodox Education Class
· Fri, Mar. 2 – 5:30pm-6:30pm 1st Salutations to the Theotokos Service
· Sat, Mar. 3 – LAST of THREE Saturday of Souls – 9:00am Orthros; 10:00am Divine Liturgy; & 11:15 Memorial Service with commemoration of names. Please submit your names of departed loved ones to Fr. Ciprian for 2012 if you have not done so already.
· Sat, Mar. 3 – 5:30pm Great Vespers
· Sun, Mar. 4 – Sunday of Orthodoxy – 9:00am Orthros; 10:00am Divine Liturgy; 11:30am Procession with the Holy Icons inside the Church; 11:50pm Fellowship by Jessica & Jim White
· FLOWER DONATIONS – Distinct to Great Lent are our efforts to beautify our worship through the decoration of icons and other holy objects with flowers. The Sign-up list in the Church Hall.
· Wed, Feb. 29 – 5:30pm Presanctified Liturgy; 7:00pm Lenten Meal; 7:30pm-8:30pm Religious Education Class. Little help for cleanup will be much appreciated by our Philoptochos sponsors.
· RAGBRAI (July 22-28) FUNDRAISER – We are looking for a group of parishioners interested in organizing this fundraiser for the day Ragbrai stops in Cedar Rapids (July 26). If you are interested in participating please contact Michael Christodoulou.
· PAN-ORTHODOX LENTEN VESPERS Schedule is on the Bulletin Board. Please grab a copy.
· Sun, Mar. 11 - Pan-Orthodox Hope event: 3pm Leaving Cedar Rapids to Visit Dubuque's Heitkemp Planetarium located on the Loras college campus. The 4 pm planetarium star show will be focused on Greek Mythology. We will then attend the Pan Orthodox vespers, 5:30 pm at St. Elias Greek Orthodox church.
· Sat, Mar. 17 – 8:30am-5pm - Metropolis of Chicago Family Synaxis Lenten Retreat - On Marriage and Family Life: Sixteen centuries later, St. John Chrysostom’s words still ring true - “Your children will always be sufﬁciently wealthy if they receive from you a good upbringing that is able to order their moral life and behavior.” (St. John Chrysostom) – Registrations before March 7th are $65/family ($95/family after Mar. 7) – Babysitting provided. Visit www.gocfamilysynaxis.org for more details and speak to Fr. Ciprian if interested.